The creamy texture and flavourful dish prepared with rich colour tomatoes, basil and roasted vegetables is all set to be added in your cookbook. It is a wholesome filling meal which makes for a perfect dinner option.
Risotto is a traditional Italian dish prepared with Arborio rice and is starchier which gives it a creamy texture. But, here we have replaced starchy Arborio rice with normal white rice or Samak rice or millets (whatever is available with you). The added goodness of kala chana with bell peppers and zucchini makes this dish wholesome and packed with nutrients.
For Roasted Vegetables
- 5 to 6 cherry tomatoes or 1 medium sized regular tomato
- ½ small sized red bell pepper
- 20 grams – zucchini
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Himalayan Pink Salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
For the Risotto
- 30 grams Rice or Millet (as per availability)- soaked for 1-2 hours
- 30 grams kala chana (Bengal gram), soaked for 6 hours, cooked in pressure pot for 3-4 whistles. (Don’t throw away the stock)
- 1.5 teaspoon of olive oil
- 30 grams – onion, diced
- 2-3 – garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium sized tomato
- Kala chana stock
- 4 to 5 fresh basil leaves
- Nutrition Info
- 293 kcal
- 36.4 grams
- 9.8 grams
- 5.4 grams
- Preheat the oven at 180 degree Celsius and add olive oil to a roasting tray.
- Chop cherry tomatoes, red pepper and zucchini and spread it all in the tray.
- Add salt and pepper. Properly coat the vegetables with salt and pepper and then roast.
- Now add olive oil to a frying pan on low medium heat.
- Sauté the onions for a few minutes and add minced garlic and cook for another minute.
- Transfer rice and pour the chana stock then stir it well allowing the rice to absorb it all.
- After 15 minutes or when rice is half cooked, add and roasted vegetables into it. Add cooked kala chana.
- Add more stock if needed and cook for a few more minutes.
- Remove it from the heat and stir in the basil and flavour with salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve hot.
Nutritional Benefits of Ingredients:-
- Low in starch, low in calories
- Rich in dietary fibre
- Low glycaemic index-0 suitable for Diabetics
- Good source of iron
- Fair source of protein
- Gluten free
Kala Chana (Bengal Gram)
- Rich source of plant protein
- Promotes muscle mass
- Rich in dietary fibre’
- Contains iron and folate
- Excellent for diabetics
- Rich in lycopene- an antioxidant that boosts immunity
- Reduces risk of heart diseases
- Rich in Vitamin C for healthy immune system
- Provides hydration and keeps constipation at bay
Zucchini/ Summer Squash
- Ample amounts of Vitamin A and Vitamin C
- Contains powerful antioxidants
- Contributes to healthy digestion
- Contains gut friendly fibre
- Reduces high blood sugar levels
- Aids in weight management
Red Bell Pepper
- Excellent source of Vitamin C
- Supports healthy vision as it is rich in Vitamin A
- Packed with antioxidants
- Contains lycopene that supports heart health
- Supports healthy liver function
- Helps in managing high blood sugar levels
- Aids in digestion
It can be counted as comfort food as the recipe is free of cholesterol and hence, is a great option for maintaining a healthy weight. Personalize the dish by adding other healthy vegetables of your choice.