Antioxidants are compounds that are responsible for the prevention of cell damage. Antioxidant molecules help counteract oxidative stress, i.e. the process of cell damage due to external and internal factors. Antioxidants are abundantly found in vegetables and fruits and are a vital component of one’s diet. There are various foods that are naturally rich in antioxidants and here are some foods and antioxidants that must be a part of your diet:
- Curcumin: Curcumin, an active ingredient that is found in yellow-ish powdered turmeric is one of the most effective antioxidants to include in your diet. Curcumin is a fat-soluble antioxidant that has powerful anti-inflammatory effects, slows down the ageing process and protect against heart disease.
- Piperine: Piperine is a super antioxidant that is found in one of the most commonly used spices known as black pepper. Piperine assists in enhancing the availability of significant nutrients in the body. The sharp, mild flavour of piperine helps in boosting immunity, supporting weight loss and assisting in managing stress.
- Cinnamaldehyde: Cinnamaldehyde, the main active component found in cinnamon assist in fighting numerous kinds of infection. Cinnamaldehyde help in formulating the taste, flavour and aroma in the cinnamon spice. This super antioxidant helps in strengthen immunity, boost metabolism and possess antifungal and antibacterial properties.
- Lycopene: They contain vitamin C and A with the antioxidant lycopene. It is a very potent antioxidant food that is very beneficial for our diet. Lycopene is a powerful antioxidant that is found in tomato and other red fruits/vegetables and offers numerous health benefits including protection from the harmful rays of the sun, improved heart health and decrease risk of various types of cancer.
- Allicin: Allicin is a powerful antioxidant found in the tiny garlic clove. This super antioxidant jeffers various surprising health benefits including boosting immunity, providing anti-inflammatory properties, improving cardiovascular health and promoting skin and hair health.
- Resveratrol: Resveratrol is a plant compound that acts as an incredible antioxidant and is found in grapes and berries. This antioxidant helps in lowering high blood pressure, protects the brain, increase insulin sensitivity, and ease joint pain. Blueberries, Strawberries, Raspberries, and Goji Berries have very high concentrations of antioxidants and are often marketed as superfoods that are rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. These help in reducing risk factors for heart disease, lowering bad cholesterol, blood pressure, neutralizing harmful free radicals, reducing inflammation in cells, and suppression of brain impairment. Berries are rich in fibre and will be a very healthy choice for your diet.
Do add these antioxidants to your diet for a hale and hearty you. these antioxidants are present in natural food items and can save your cells from any kind of damage.