Ovarian cancer refers to any cancerous growth that begins in the female ovaries. Ovarian cancer often goes undetected until it has spread within the pelvis and stomach region. At this late stage, ovarian cancer is more difficult to treat and can prove fatal.
Looking for that one food that will keep you free from cancer? Unfortunately, it doesn’t exist. But certain foods can help reduce your chances of developing cancer especially when eaten as part of a healthy diet followed by a good workout regime. A combination of smart nutritional choices that are part of a healthy diet may also be a factor in prevention. However, 6 foods that lower the risk of ovarian cancer in women are:
- Flaxseeds: Lignans, polyphenols found in plant foods, could be beneficial hormonally to women in preventing ovarian cancer. Lignans are important because they have omega-3 fatty acids, which can help in cancer prevention, and fibre, which can help in weight maintenance. You can sprinkle flaxseeds over a smoothie bowl, salads or yogurt and reduce the risk of ovarian cancer.
- Tomatoes: Lycopene is naturally occurring in red carotenoid pigments found in tomatoes and processed tomato products and it has the potential in reducing the risk of developing ovarian cancer in women.
- Fruits and Vegetables: Eating a diet rich in fruits and vegetables can help to fight cancers and illnesses thanks to their antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. Foods like apples, broccoli, blueberries, strawberries, peppers have cancer-fighting properties.
- Green Tea: Green tea is rich in plant compounds that help to prevent and repair the DNA damage that otherwise could start the growth of cancerous cells in the ovaries.
- Bell peppers: All peppers red, yellow, and green are packed with quercetin, a nutrient that bolsters the liver’s ability to break down carcinogens before they can harm the ovaries. A half-cup serving daily will do the trick, or you can enjoy other quercetin-rich foods, such as onions, and unpeeled apples.
- Whole Grains: Whole grains are high in fibre, which can help you stay lean and lower the risk of developing cancer. Some examples of whole grain-foods are Brown rice, oatmeal, barley, whole wheat bread.
Over to you:
A well-balanced diet is a major key to reduce the risk of ovarian cancer in women. No single food can completely prevent cancer but including certain foods in your diet can reduce the risk of developing ovarian cancers. Start including the above-mentioned foods in your diet because of their high cancer-fighting properties.