Turiya mag ni dal is a Gujarati recipe and is known for its simplicity. It has a hint of basic Gujarati spices and peppiness due to lemon juice. It is a unique combination of moong dal and ridge gourd.
Ridge gourd: Ridge gourd contains appreciable amounts of dietary fiber and vitamins and minerals like vitamin-C, zinc, iron, riboflavin, magnesium, thiamine, and traces of other minerals. Ridge gourd is low in calories and thus, it aids in weight loss. Also, insulin-like peptides and alkaloids present in ridge gourd help to reduce the sugar levels in the blood and urine.
Moong dal: Consumption of moong dal increases the feeling of satiety by stimulating the cholecystokinin hormone. Thus, it helps to improve metabolism. Being rich in potassium and iron, it helps to lower the blood pressure and protects against muscle cramping. Moong dal also provides the body with folate, fiber, Vitamin B6 and high-quality protein.
- 20 grams ridge gourd
- 30 grams moong dal
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- A pinch of asafetida
- 5 grams ginger
- Green chili (optional)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 5 grams coriander leaves
- 1 teaspoon oil
- Nutrition Info
- 84 kcal
- 7.5 grams
- 2.5 grams
- 5.2 grams
- · Soak the moong dal in enough warm water for 1 hour and keep aside.
- · Heat the oil in a non-stick kadhai. Add the cumin seeds, mustard seeds, and asafetida.
- · When the seeds crackle, add the ridge gourd, soaked moong dal and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- · Add 2 cups of water, ginger-green chili paste, turmeric powder, chili powder, and salt. Mix well and cook on a low flame.
- · Add the lemon juice and mix well.
- · Serve hot and garnish with coriander leaves.
Over to you
This unique combination of ridge gourd and moong dal with mild spices is worth a try. Share this healthy recipe with your family and friends too.