Butternut squash along with kale makes a desirable and healthy tart liked by everyone that fills the stomach with both nutrition and taste. This light creamy tart has a satisfying thyme crust with nutritious amber filling of iron-rich veggies.
Quinoa flour is very nutritious and is full of antioxidants, fiber as well as protein. It helps in constipation, blood pressure, and high cholesterol. Kale is highly nutritious and antioxidant-rich that is the best source of vitamin K. It is good for immunity and helps in lowering the blood pressure. Butternut squash has a high nutritional level and contains iron, vitamin A, vitamin C, magnesium, and potassium. This recipe is high in iron due to the presence of kale as the oxalates help in preventing the absorption of non-heme iron. Butternut squash is also a good source of iron that prevents anemia. With a garnish of pumpkin seeds, it is a great recipe to add for anemia patients.
- 10 grams quinoa flour
- 10-gram wheat flour
- 5-7 grams fresh thyme
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon ghee
- ½ teaspoon olive oil
- 10 grams onion
- 10 grams butternut squash
- 10 grams kale
- 10 ml of almond milk
- Nutmeg for garnishing
- 2-3 grams pumpkin seeds for garnishing
- Sea salt and black pepper as per taste
- Nutrition Info
- 180 kcal
- 17 grams
- 7.2 grams
- 9.2 grams
- Let’s start by preparing the tart first, for which mix in oat flour, wheat flour, salt, and thyme in a food processor.
- Then add in the ghee and mix until it has a breadcrumb consistency.
- Then add in the cold water, spoon by spoon mixing simultaneously to form dough.
- Form it in a round shape on a baking sheet and let it sit in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven at 200ºC/fan 180ºC/gas
- Take out the dough from the fridge and roll it using a rolling pin into a circle and lay over the tart tin.
- Press each edge over the tart tin and refrigerate for another 10 minutes.
- Next, take it out let it bake for about 15 minutes.
- Remove it from the oven and the tart pan, brush it with some beaten egg white and bake it further for another 10 minutes.
- On the other side, prepare the filling of the tart.
- Heat some oil in a pan.
- Add in the onion and allow it to cook for about 10 minutes, then add in the grated squash, kale, salt, pepper, pumpkin seeds, and a little grating of nutmeg and mix well.
- In a bowl, add in the egg white, almond milk, salt, pepper and beat well.
- Pour the veggie mixture over the tart and add in the beaten egg mixture to level the top and bake for another 35 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve with any salad or dressing of choice.
Over to you:
Delicious butternut squash and kale tart is crumbly, flavourful, and has a distinctive and attractive texture; the combination of ingredients used makes it desirable for anemia patients to add in the meal. Do try and let us know your thoughts on this creamy and crumbly tart!