Here’s a recipe for guilt free Christmas plum cake. The use of whole wheat flour instead of refined one and jaggery in place of table sugar not only makes it nutritious but also enhances the taste.
Whole grains offer a host of health benefits as compared to refined grains, which are stripped of valuable nutrients because of the refining process. Whole wheat flour is rich source of fibre and also has B group vitamins and certain trace minerals while refined flour (maida) is nothing but empty calories.
Jaggery is unrefined sugar gaining recognition as healthy replacement for table sugar. It contains small amounts of B group vitamins and minerals, including calcium, zinc, phosphorus and copper. It is also believed to be a natural body cleanser and helps in flushing out harmful toxins from the body, which further helps to detoxify the liver.
- 120 grams whole wheat atta
- 80 grams jaggery
- 15 grams olive oil
- 20 grams black raisins
- 20 grams dried plums
- 20 grams almonds
- 20 grams chopped walnuts
- 2 pitted dates
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup water
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom powder
- ½ teaspoon dry ginger powder
- A pinch of Kosher salt
- Nutrition Info
- 175 kcal
- 12.5 grams
- 4 grams
- 6.3 grams
- Chop the dry fruits and nuts, set aside.
- Take a pan and add in the water and the jaggery. Simmer and let all the jaggery melt. Once its melted, strain the jaggery water. Heat the strained jaggery back on the pan and add in the dry fruits and nuts. Add in the spice powders, kosher salt and oil. Let the mixture simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow the mixture to completely cool.
- Once cool, whisk the egg and add it to the fruit mixture. Mix well to combine.
- Mix the flour and baking soda in a bowl. Add in the fruit mixture to the flour and mix well with a wooden spatula.
- Grease and flour a round cake pan. Line the pan with parchment paper. Transfer the cake batter to the pan. Make sure that the batter is not more than ¾th of the height of the pan. Bake for 30-40 minutes in a preheated oven set to 160 C.
- After 40 minutes, insert a tooth pick in the middle of the cake. If it comes out clean, the cake is done. If the tooth pick has a little batter sticking, bake for 10-15 minutes more and check again.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool in the pan until room temperature. Run a knife on the sides of the cake pan to release the cake sticking to the sides. Gently invert the pan and remove the cake from the pan and store it in an air tight container.
Over to you
Enjoy this guilt free dessert with goodness of healthy fats, vitamins and minerals. It will be a great accompaniment to a glass of hot chocolate or coffee.