A healthier alternative to all time orange cream biscuits, this cake has an awesome flavor of fresh oranges. It is soft and light even after using whole wheat flour and oats. Since its eggless, it can be adapted to vegetarians and vegans diets also.
Whole grains offer a host of health benefits as compared to refined grains, which are stripped of valuable nutrients because of the refining process. Whole wheat flour is rich source of fibre and also has B group vitamins and certain trace minerals while refined flour (maida) is nothing but empty calories.
Oranges are rich in vitamin C, which is a powerful antioxidant. It is also loaded with fibre making it extremely beneficial for improving digestion and boosting metabolism.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup white oats
- ¾ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon orange zest (grate zest of the same oranges you used for juice)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 10 gram (5 in no.) cashew nuts
- 10 gram (8 in no.) almonds
- 10 gram (3 in no.) walnuts
- ¼ cup canola oil or rice bran oil
- Nutrition Info
- 115 kcal
- 13 grams
- 1.7 grams
- 6 grams
- Measure ¼ cup of white oats and then grind it in a fine powder.
- Sieve whole wheat flour, oats flour, baking powder, baking soda and oats flour together.
- Preheat the oven at 180 degrees Celsius, grease the cake tin with oil, flour it and keep aside.
- Add salt to orange juice immediately after squeezing it from oranges otherwise it will give bitter taste in the cake. Mix juice, oil and sugar together with the help of blender or whisker.
- To this juice oil sugar mixture add the sieved ingredients little by little while mixing at the same time with the help of a wooden spatula; make sure that there are no lumps.
- Now add orange zest and chopped nuts to this thick batter and mix it with spoon. Pour the batter into greased tin and bake it in preheated oven at 180 degree Celsius for 40 minutes or Bake it until the needle comes out clean.
Over to you
Oranges give a refreshing flavor to this cake making it a great snack for kids. The use of whole wheat and oats flour provides good amount of fibre along with various minerals like iron, magnesium and zinc. Such great health benefit makes it a great choice to satisfy your sweet tooth without compromising on your health goals.