When we talk about general health or wellness of the mind, we all know that it is directly connected to our food choices. A healthy body and mind is derived from a healthy diet.
Here we have mentioned 7 foods for your brain to improve your overall mental health and wellness.
- Oily Fish: Studies have proved that fish is a good food for the brain because it contains the little fatty acid which is called DHA, an Omega-3 fatty acid which is said to be very helpful in improving long and short term memory, the optimal brain condition. Adding these Omega-3 fatty acids in your diet can actually boost feelings of mental health and wellbeing and may also reduce anxiety. DHA is found in oily fishes such as prawns, trout and salmon. You can also use a fish supplement.
- Berries: Berries are rich in antioxidants which repair the body cells along with combating inflammation caused by free radical damage. Antioxidants also assist in improving symptoms of depression and anxiety. Berries such as blackberries, blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries contain a compound called polyphenols that are known to improve concentration, memory, and attention span.
- Yogurt: You all know that yogurt is a great source of vitamins which helps promote good digestion and improves your gut health. The probiotics present in yoghurt are loved by people of all ages. Recent studies have shown that probiotics are also beneficial in brain-gut connection. Yoghurt has the capacity to handle a person’s mental health by lowering levels of depression, anxiety and stress.
- Whole Grains: Whole Grains are packed carbohydrates, a powerhouse of energy, hence it should be added in your regular diet. They are a rich source of tryptophan, an amino acid that helps in producing serotonin (a good hormone). Serotonin helps improve your mood and calms down the mind and also helps in maintaining a steady sleep cycle.
- Walnuts: Walnuts are packed with antioxidants which help in aiding the process of oxidation of the body and the brain. These nuts have a great capacity in the growth of new neurons, in layman’s terms, it can help grow new brain cells, which is an ultimate need for a healthy brain. Hence, one must snack on a handful of walnuts regularly for a long term brain and mental health.
- Leafy greens: Leafy greens offer an endless number of benefits to a human body compared to any other food, and that includes mental health. Recent studies have shown that leafy greens taken on a daily basis can lower cognitive impairment. Thus it is essential that you include kale ,spinach, and collard greens in your everyday diet.
- Beans: Beans are popular for their antioxidants and fibre, beans, kidney beans, lentils and legumes can keep a person full for long hours. Beans also stabilise your blood sugar level, as they help in burning more energy enabling good mental health. Beans are said to have thiamine, a vitamin which is needed to produce acetylcholine which is a neurotransmitter important for memory.
Over to you
All in all, adding these rich foods in your everyday diet can really help you improve your mental health and wellness altogether.