The dry season is here. The cold breeze blowing while giving chills and goosebumps has become dry. Moisture is scarce and that takes a toll on us. One of the most common problems in winter dry skin. No matter how much moisturizer we apply, after some time we start experiencing that same dry skin again. This makes our skin rough and sometimes under vigorous conditions it may even tear a little. Nobody wants that, but still, pretty much everyone experiences it at least once. So how can we prevent this? We got your back, today we’ll talk about some tips that’ll help you combat dry skin and ensure healthy glowing skin throughout winter.
What is dry skin? How and why to control it?
Dry skin, also called xerosis, is skin that lacks moisture in its outer layer. If left untreated, dry skin can crack and become infected. This usually occurs when the body fails to hold an adequate amount of moisture. This lack of moisture is reflected in the outer layer of skin and thus leads to xerosis. It is an undesirable condition that happens especially in winters because of the cold dry winds and general lack of humidity in the atmosphere.
It is recommended to be on the safe side, so dry skin or not we should take steps to avoid the condition. Let’s take a look at some tips that’ll help you combat xerosis:
- The sunflower seed oil has improved hydration when used as a moisturizer on arms. Natural oils help provide continuous moisture to the skin.
- Coconut oil is as safe and effective as petroleum jelly for treating dry skin. Coconut oil significantly improves skin hydration and increases the number of lipids (fats) on the surface of the skin.
- Oatmeal is another natural ingredient that can help treat dry skin. Adding powdered oatmeal to a bath or using creams that contain oatmeal may help to relieve dry skin. Oatmeal is known to have antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties which help in the treatment of xerosis.
- Petroleum jelly, otherwise known as mineral oil, is used to treat dry skin, especially when caused by aging.
- Aloe Vera is a natural treatment for dry skin, applying the gel on the affected area and leaving it overnight will not only help in treating dry skin but will also help in cooling down the body thus making the favorable condition to hold moisture.
Over to you.
Winter invites dry skin, xerosis. It is an undesirable condition that occurs due to a deficiency of moisture on the outer layer of the skin. Usually occurring during winter because of the dry atmosphere, xerosis can be tackled by following the above-mentioned tips. Whether going through xerosis or not, we should follow the tips to avoid any complications. It is always recommended to stay on the safe side.