Happy New Year: 5 Self-care Tips For a Healthier You in 2022
By Nmami Agarwal 02-Jan 2022 Reading Time: 5 Mins
New year, new you, right? It seems like, with every passing year, we are hoping to create new resolutions and stick to them to become the best version of ourselves. For some of us, it’s achieving a weight loss goal. For others, it’s learning a money-saving hack to bulk up savings accounts this year.
While there’s absolutely nothing wrong with resolutions like these, self-care is of utmost importance too which needs special attention. Self-care is a form of any activity that takes care of your mental, physical, and emotional health. Here, we compiled a list of self-care tips for healthy you in the New Year.
- Fuel your body with the right foods: We all need days where we want to binge eat ice cream, chocolate, and eat an entire large pizza by ourselves. But, as good as it tastes to enjoy these delicious foods, it is more important to your physical health that you are eating the right foods most of the time. Make sure you are drinking enough water, eating your greens well, and sticking to a well-balanced diet. Fueling your body with good nutrition will make your body happy. It’s self-care at its best!
- Exercise regularly: One of the best forms of self-care for your physical body is to do regular exercise. According to studies, exercise relieves stress by improving your mood, releasing your brain’s feel-good neurotransmitters (endorphins), and giving you a physical outlet to take your mind off of anything that is nagging you. Try working out at least three days per week, whether it is at the gym, going for a walk, meditating, or going for a group dance session.
- Reduce screen-time: We are constantly stuck on social media and feel it is an innocent space for sharing posts, or that swiping on dating apps is relaxing, but truthfully we all need a break from our social life. We spend far too much time scrolling through news feeds, like photos, posting updates, binge-watching Netflix, and swiping on dating apps that we often forget how it is giving a toll on our mental health. Give your brain a break this year by reducing your screen time and indulging in more fun activities.
- Always be kind to yourself: When you are out in the world setting up your goals, crushing at work, and shaping up lives to be the best they can be, it can be hard to remember to be the most kind towards you. Highs and lows are part of life. Like any other year, this year is bound to bring you milestones, memories, and some misfortunes too. When you are in the middle of a bad experience, be kind to yourself. Don’t compare yourself to others and try to remain optimistic even at the time of failure.
- Get plenty of sleep: Nothing is going to make your body function better than a good amount of sound sleep. Try to get into a routine where you get at least eight hours of uninterrupted sleep per night. Being well-rested is going to fuel your body each day, giving your physical health exactly what it needs to be in the perfect shape.
Over to you:
Make self-care a habit this new year. Practice gratitude, read more books, meditate, and spend time with your loved ones. After all, your health is wealth.