Pea protein is obtained from dried yellow peas. The basic use of this is to increase the content of protein in various food staples like smoothies, shakes and many more. For all those, who want to widen their protein content from a plant-based source, pea protein is a great choice for them as it is naturally vegan and is extremely safe to consume with almost any meal.
Pea protein provides various health benefits and the protein it provides is extremely high in quality. In addition to protein, it also offers various nutrients like iron to the human body.
Pea protein provides all nine amino acids and boosts heart health while enhancing the flow of blood in the body. As per researches “pea protein is one of the most easily digested plant-based protein- just behind soy protein and chickpeas” and can easily complement many meals while boosting the overall nutritional profile of the meal. Also, it contains a great amount of iron- one serving of pea protein can provide about 5–7.5 milligrams of iron and can fulfil about 28–42% of the daily recommended value for women with perimenopause and for men and women with postmenopause, it fulfils 62–94% of the daily recommended value. People who are suffering from iron deficiency can include pea protein powder in their diet to increase the content of iron in the body. Adding pea powder with Vitamin C rich foods helps in boosting the absorption of iron in the body.
Being a dairy-free, gluten-free, and vegan source of protein, it can easily goes with the type of diets. It can easily be digested and can enhance the content of various nutrients in the body.
- Build muscles mass: Consumption of powder made from yellow peas helps in building muscles mass while strengthen and repair them. If you are involved in regular workouts then consumption of pea protein powder can assist in the healing of wear and tear that happens in the body. However, as per studies, pea protein powder won’t work effectively without incorporating physical exercises in the routine. To get instant and excellent results, it is vital to incorporate pea protein with regular exercising.
- Helps in keeping you satiated: Peas are filled with protein and thus it helps in keeping you feel fuller for a longer period of time and keeps your hunger pangs at bay. Also, it is low in calories and free from unhealthy fats and thereby aid in weight loss.
- Virtuous for kidney and heart health: Due to the presence of great content of protein and low content of fats it provides, consumption of pea protein powder helps in lowering down the cholesterol levels and high blood pressure levels and is extremely beneficial for the heart and kidney health.
- Boost your energy levels: Yellow peas are filled with enzymes which are used by the body to create energy and to perform thousands of other functions in the body. It assists in carrying nutrients, transfer oxygen and can easily boost your energy levels.
Any negative or side effects
Pea protein powder does not comprise of any harmful ingredients and is extremely beneficial for the overall health. It is extremely low in fibre and won’t lead to any gas or bloating. As such, there is no negative effect of consuming pea protein powder and it is easy to digest. But it is high in sodium content and keeping an eye on its consumption can add up to your overall health and well-being.
The recommended quantity and different ways to consume
Various researches suggest that eating 0.73 grams of protein per pound (1.6 grams per kg) of body weight per day is the most effective dose for building muscle. It is quintessential to pay heed towards the quantities of its consumption as high quantities can further lead to liver damage, high ammonia levels in the blood, nausea and diarrhoea. There are various ways to consume pea protein powder- people who want to gain muscles generally consume it before a workout by incorporating it in the smoothies, shakes, juices or dilute it in water and drink.
Some other ways to consume pea protein powder:
- Add it in your oatmeals, porridge or cereal.
- Combination it with milk obtained from plant-based sources
- Add it in your sugar-free baked goods.
- Mix it in your sugar-free popsicles.
Over to you
This yellow pea-based protein source is extremely beneficial for the overall health and can enhance your nutritional profile. Just take care of the quantities you consume and you are all set to get the goodness of various nutrients without any health complications.