All the while when going back to the gym was longed for by many, some people got their inspiration to also start working out now. It is the time of the year we all are motivated to hit the gym and since you are a newbie, you may want to know what are the beginner’s essentials for hitting the gym? Here’s a quick checklist to use if you have just started working out:
What to wear?
This is the most essential thing you need to consider. Your gym clothes should be super comfortable. It is essential for you to choose the right socks, right shoes and right tops and bottoms, depending upon your workout. Choose clothes that you are confident about and are breathable. You might consider a tracksuit or a hoodie.
What Should your gym bag be like?
If you have not purchased a gym bag, do consider the following things before buying one:
- Two separate zips to keep fresh and sweaty clothes
- Zipped pockets for headphones, wallet and other essentials
- Space for water bottle
- A vented compartment for shoes and socks
What to carry in your gym bag?
- Water Bottle— Staying hydrated during workouts is the key to perform better. A sleek and stylish water bottle will attract you to have more water and keep you hydrated throughout especially if you are a cardio person.
Gym Towel—Obviously, you will be sweating after a good workout session. So, carry a towel to wipe yourself. Always ensure to have a clean, fresh towel after your workout and get your own from home. Many wellness and fitness companies make compact microfiber towels that are great for bringing with you on-the-go. Choose your favourite colour and throw in your bag before your workout session.
- Disinfectant Wipes/ Sanitisers—It’s pandemic time. So, make sure that you carry a disinfectant with you so that you wipe down the equipment when you are done using it.
- Gloves—If you’re a regular weight lifter, then you know the importance of gloves to protect your grip. Not to forget mentioning you have to take proper precautions because one mistake and your health can take a toll. Avoid touching your face, especially your eyes, while you’re working out.
- Post-workout snack/drink—Eating protein-rich foods right after a workout is important because the only exercise won’t help you gain muscles. You can incorporate eggs, avocado, sweet potatoes, peanut butter, almonds, walnuts, trail mix, sesame, sliced veggies, raisin balls and so forth in your diet. About drinks, drinks keep you fresh and energetic including cherry juice, green tea, chocolate milkshake, banana and peanut butter smoothie, greek yoghurt with any fruit of your choice and have a great session.
Over to you:
Your gym essentials need not be much complicated as a beginner. With your level increment, start experimenting with advanced gym equipment. Now, for the time being, the above checklist is enough!