The festival of colors “Holi” is nearby and it is the right time for some refreshing summer drink. It is prepared with almonds, pistachio, Kesar, and fennel seeds. Each of the ingredients used in the preparation of thandai is healthy and the warm nature of almonds is balanced with fennel and cardamom. It is a great alternative to those sugar-loaded drinks.
Almonds contain a great number of nutrients such as magnesium, calcium, healthy fats, protein, and fiber. Cardamom has diuretic properties and helps in lowering blood pressure. Poppy seeds on the other hand are good for digestion and treat headaches.
- 150ml milk
- 4-5 almonds
- 2-3 pistachio
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds
- ¼ teaspoon peppercorns
- ½ teaspoon cardamom powder
- ½ teaspoon poppy seeds
- Few strands of Kesar
- Nutrition Info
- 128 kcal
- 10.1 grams
- 6.9 grams
- 7 grams
- Take a bowl and soak some almonds, pistachio, and poppy seeds in water for about 2-3 hours.
- In a separate bowl soak in some black pepper, cardamom, and fennel seeds for 2 hours.
- Take a pan and boil in some milk along with saffron and allow it to cool for some time.
- Then in a mixer prepare a paste of pepper, fennel, and cardamom with some water. Strain the fine paste and throw away the residue.
- Now prepare a fine paste of almond, pistachio, and poppy seeds with some milk.
- Take a blender add in the chilled milk and both the paste and serve with some ice cubes
Over to you:
Kesar thandai is a refreshing summer drink that can be prepared fresh and stored in the fridge. Add in some walnuts for crunch if required.