Chavli Chi Usal is a healthy curry that gives you energy and various nutrients. The protein-enriched black-eyed peas and fresh coconut used in it serve many health benefits and it is easy to prepare.
Black-eyed peas (lobhiya) are low in cholesterol and fat. It is rich in protein, calcium and fibre and it also helps in boosting immunity and energy.
- 30 grams black-eyed pea (lobhiya)
- 20 grams tomatoes, finely chopped
- 20 grams onion
- Salt as per taste
- ½ teaspoon mustard oil
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds (rai / sarson)
- 1 teaspoon garlic, finely chopped
- 7 to 8 curry leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 3 whole dry red chillies, broken into pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ tablespoon coconut, freshly grated
- Nutrition Info
- 134.5 kcal
- 18.7 grams
- 6.5 grams
- 5.4 grams
- Take black-eyed peas and soak them for around 2 hours.
- Then, in a saucepan, heat some oil and add finely chopped onions and cook until brown.
- Then, add tomatoes and mix well.
- Meanwhile take coriander seeds, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, garlic, red chillies, turmeric powder and grated coconut and blend it well to form a paste.
- Add the paste to onion and tomato paste and mix well. Cook for 3-4 minutes on medium flame and stir occasionally.
- Then, add soaked black-eyed peas and 1 cup water into it and simmer for a few minutes.
- For the tempering, heat the olive oil and add mustard seeds. Then, add garlic and curry leaves and sauté on a low flame.
- Mix this tempering in curry and cook for one minute on a medium flame.
- Serve hot.
Over to you:
Chavli Chi Usal is a super healthy curry recipe. It can go with rice, roti or paranthas. It is easy to prepare and has numerous health benefits.