Start your day with a unique and healthy Indian breakfast packed with the goodness of buckwheat groats and sweet potatoes, this dish is both nourishing and delicious. This dish provides a balance of protein, healthy fats, and carbohydrates, making it a wholesome breakfast option.
1 cup buckwheat groats
1 medium-sized sweet potato, peeled and diced
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 green chili, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
A few curry leaves
2 tablespoons roasted peanuts
2 tablespoons grated coconut
1 teaspoon cooking oil or ghee
Salt to taste
Fresh cilantro leaves for garnishing
- Dry roast the buckwheat groats in a pan over medium heat until they turn slightly golden and fragrant. Set aside.
- Meanwhile Steam or boil the diced sweet potato until tender
- In a pan, heat oil or ghee over medium heat. Add mustard seeds and let them splutter.
- Add cumin seeds, curry leaves, and chopped green chili also toss chopped onion and sauté until it turns translucent.
- Stir in the cooked sweet potato and roasted buckwheat groats.
- Mix in roasted peanuts and grated coconut. Cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add salt to taste and mix well. Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves.
- Serve the Buckwheat and Sweet Potato Upma as a unique and nourishing Indian breakfast.
Buckwheat and Sweet Potato Upma offers vitamins A and C from sweet potatoes, supporting vision, skin health, and immunity. Moreover, buckwheat contributes dietary fiber and B vitamins, aiding digestion and energy metabolism.