The liver is known as the second-largest organ in the human body that helps in filtering out the harmful substances from the blood and also aids in processing nutrients from food and drinks a human body consume.
Fatty liver is a disease that is becoming increasingly common nowadays. Various studies have suggested that the problem of fatty liver is affecting 25% of the global population. Fatty liver is also known as hepatic steatosis- characterized by increased accumulation of fat in the liver i.e., it happens when an excess amount of fat builds up in the liver. It is normal to have small amounts of fat in the liver but having too much can lead to a serious health problem. An excess amount of fat in the liver can cause liver inflammation and can further lead to liver failure as well.
In the early stages, there are no noticeable symptoms of fatty liver. There are chances that you may feel tiredness and discomfort in your abdomen. Here are some common symptoms of this disease. If you feel any of it, it is important to consult a doctor.
- Loss of appetite
- Weight loss
- Itchy skin
- Yellow skin and eyes
- Clusters of blood vessels
A diet for fatty liver is extremely wide. But here are some foods options which might help in this condition!
- Broccoli: The whole vegetable like broccoli can be helpful for those who are suffering from fatty liver. A build-up of fat in the liver can also be prevented by long-term consumption of broccoli. Add this to the diet, to rise above the non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.
- Walnuts: People with fatty liver disease can improve the condition by consuming walnuts as it is rich in Omega-3 fatty acids. Foods rich in Omega-3 fatty acids also help in lowering HDL cholesterol levels in the human body. Other sources of getting Omega-3 fatty acids are salmon, sardines and flaxseeds.
- Grapes: Grapes, grape juice, and grape seeds are rich in antioxidants which help in preventing liver damage and also help in reducing the inflammation caused by the fatty liver. Try to eat whole seeded grapes to get Vitamins C, K and other various nutrients.
- Garlic: Garlic has many benefits on the human body that also helps in balancing the excess fat present in the liver. Various studies suggest that consuming garlic reduces body weight and the content of fat in people suffering from non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.
- Berries: Dark berries contain antioxidants called polyphenols which help in balancing the fats in the liver. Try to incorporate dark berries such as blueberries, raspberries, and cranberries in your diet as it helps to fight off inflammation, improve blood sugar levels and boost the immunity system as well.
Above written foods are quite beneficial for the fatty liver. If you feel the symptoms of fatty liver try to add these foods to your daily diet and go through some lifestyle changes to prevent liver damage or failure.