Everybody in today’s time aspires for a glowing and clear skin for those who don’t want to wake up with a flawless skin. Your skin is the largest sense organ and therefore needs proper attention to look great and healthy. Skin problems like pimples, acne, breakouts, fine lines, wrinkles and sun damage are quite common. The texture of your skin as well as its elasticity is determined majorly by proteins- collagen and elastin. Any disruption caused to these proteins can lead to fine lines, wrinkles which can make your skin look dull and older. Apart from this is the skin being exposed to ultraviolet rays from sun can cause serious damage to collagen & elastin by promoting the formation of free radicals.
While the skin products that you apply externally, help to enhance the skin texture from outside but your diet plays a pivotal role in nourishing and nurturing the skin from inside. For instance- a diet that is high in refined carbohydrates can promote mild to chronic inflammation and can cause skin problems like acne and pimples. On the other hand, a diet rich in antioxidants can help to fight with free radical formation by making your skin look radiant.
On this note, lets know five ways in which your food choices directly affect your skin:
- Fights Dullness – Colourful fruits and vegetables are an excellent source of antioxidants like Vitamin A and C. The yellow, green, orange – coloured compounds contain natural compounds such as carotenoids that helps in generating and producing new cells which is an essential function. Fruits and vegetables rich in Vitamin C like amla, strawberries, oranges and green leafy vegetables help to manufacture sufficient collagen that helps in fighting with free radicals.
- Boosts Collagen – Fish is a great source of protein which is very much needed to produce collagen and elastin. It also contains omega-3 fatty acids which work wonder for skin. It further helps in reducing inflammation by nourishing it from inside. You can incorporate fish like salmon and trout in your diet in order to extract maximum benefits.
- Acne Management – Refined and processed carb sources have an adverse effect on your skin and the body if consumed in excess. Inclusion of complex carbs like whole grains such as oats, multi grain breads, quinoa, barley and pulses and legumes have a low glycaemic index, which reduce the overall carbohydrate load in your diet and reduce risk of developing acne.
- Suppleness – Nuts like almonds, walnuts and seeds like flax seeds, sunflower seeds, chia seeds provide omega 3 fatty acids along with Vitamin E which is a natural antioxidant and is great for skin. It fights with the free radicals thereby preventing the body from oxidative stress. Also nuts like Brazilian nuts are a great source of selenium, a mineral that act as an antioxidant.
- Hydrated Skin – Hydration plays a very important role in order for nutrients to move in and waste to move out. The skin cells in the body rely on fluids. Apart from this adequate water intake is a good way to keep your skin hydrated and rejuvenated. Drinking plenty of water helps to keep your skin moist and wards off dryness. So, you can use floral waters made with steam distillation, like a rose to add a little twist to normal water. It further helps to maintain the pH balance of your skin.
Over to you:
Diet and food play a very important role in keeping the skin problems at bay. Healthy and nutrient dense food nourish your skin from inside and makes it look flawless on the outside. So, use these simple tips and keep skin troubles away!