You often heard that consuming more water is the clear cut solution to all your health woes! Be it skin problems or planning a detox- health enthusiasts always focus on drinking more and more water in a day to get rid of all the toxins from your body! But nobody focuses on the overdo of H20. Drinking water is the part of survival but did you know that an overload of H20 in the body can impact your health negatively? Hyponatremia, which is also known as water intoxication happens due to the abnormal balance of sodium in your body. When your body is flooded with water, it can cause an imbalance in the cells and further lead to various complexities in the body. If you are one of those, who constantly sip on water all day every day, then here are some warning signs that you should know about.
- You are suffering from cramps and headaches: A healthy and effective body is just about the right balance. Consuming too much water can easily decrease your electrolyte levels and hamper the balance in the body. Low levels of electrolyte in the body can cause various complexities like muscle spasms, cramps and headaches. In order to avoid this situation, try replacing a couple of glasses of water from fresh and natural coconut water. Coconut water is filled with electrolytes and is quite effective in preventing muscle problems.
- You feel tired even after sleeping well: Your kidneys play a major role in effective filtration of the water to accurately hold the balanced fluid levels in your body. Your kidneys have to work harder when you consume too much water which further leaves your body tired and stressed. Always keep a tab on the quantities of water you are consuming. Re-check with a health expert to know the recommended daily intake of the water as per your age.
- Frequent urination, even at night: If you find yourself trapped in the washroom more often or even at night then you might be consuming too much water. Urinating more than ten times a day is the clear cut sign of drinking too much water than your body needs. Try to swap a couple of glasses of water from water-rich foods like cucumber. This will help you in keeping hydrated. Also, make sure to consume your last glass of water a couple of hours before bedtime.
- Nausea and vomiting: When you over hydrate your body, your kidneys won’t be able to filter the water properly and thus it will lead to unpleasant symptoms in the body. Nausea, vomiting, and diarrhoea are the major symptoms of this.
- Swelling and discolouration in the hands, lips, and feet: When you over hydrate your body, your cells start to swell which will make your skin look discoloured and swollen. Try to cut back the intake of water if you are feeling swelling or discolouration in various parts of your body.
Above written are the 5 signs that you are drinking too much water and ways to fix it. Pay heed to the amount of water you are consuming and if you are suffering from any of these symptoms for a long period of time, then take advice from a health expert.