A human body depends on various nutrients to function smoothly and selenium is one of the vital minerals that help the body to perform various basic functions. The accurate amount of selenium in the body is extremely important as too less can lead to health complications while too much can be toxic for the body. Selenium is a trace mineral and your body requires only small portions of it to function properly. Selenium plays an important role in formulating enzymes in the body which assist in the prevention of cells from damage. Here are the top 5 food sources of selenium that you should incorporate in your diet.
- Fishes: Fishes like tuna, salmon is a great source of getting selenium. These fatty fishes are also rich in various other nutrients like omega 3s, Vitamin D, B2, iron, zinc and potassium. 92 micrograms of selenium are found in only 3 ounces of fatty fishes. Consumption of fatty fishes is great for health and it can help in lowering down the inflammation while boosting heart health. You can consume grilled fishes, add it in your sandwich or consume it with your sautéed veggies.
- Eggs: Eggs are a versatile source of varied nutrients including selenium. 20 micrograms of selenium are present in just one egg. Eggs offer a wide range of protein, fats, iron, vitamins, minerals and various other nutrients that can benefit human health in plenty of ways. You can consume boiled eggs, toss it in an omelette with your veggies or consume poached eggs.
- Sunflower seeds: Sunflower seeds are packed with good fats, protein, vitamin E, magnesium along with great quantities of selenium that is quite beneficial for the health. 19 micrograms of selenium can be found in a cup quarterly filled with sunflower seeds. Consumption of sunflower seeds helps in lowering down high cholesterol levels, maintains your weight and keeps your heart healthy.
- Oatmeal: Oatmeal is a versatile way to get various nutrients including selenium. 13 micrograms of selenium are present in one cup of oats. In addition to that, oats are filled with fibre which boosts the satiety and helps in losing weight. Consumption of oats can also aid in lowering down the high cholesterol levels. Enjoy your oatmeal with the topping of fruit slices or chopped nuts.
- Mushrooms: Another ideal food to get selenium is mushroom. Mushrooms are packed with Vitamin D, iron, B Vitamins, copper, potassium and antioxidants which are extremely vital for good heart health and the smooth functioning of the body. Every 100 grams of mushrooms provide 12 micrograms of selenium. You can consume mushroom soup, stir fry it with your veggies or add it in your omelette.
Over to you
Add these above-written food sources in your diet to get the best quality and quantities of selenium. Always keep an eye on the quantities of selenium you are consuming as too much can also create complications in the body.