Hello Summer:- 10 Summer Diet Essentials
By Nmami Agarwal 25-Mar 2023 Reading Time: 5 Mins
It’s summer time and in this sweltering heat you would be struggling to keep your cool. Don’t worry because we are here to rescue you from it.
Here are some Summer Diet Essentials which after following you would be able to beat the scorching heat very easily.
- Coconut water: First thing that strikes our mind during Summer, it’s our 4000-year-old Coconut. As per Ayurveda, it is sheetala (cold) in nature. It has a lot of water to satiate and wipe out sweat and heat. It is rich in potassium, magnesium, carbohydrates, and vitamins B1, B2, and B5. It is the richest source of cytokinins which inhibit platelet clots that may lead to heart attacks and strokes.
- Melons: Melons family includes watermelon and muskmelon. Watermelon flesh contains high quantities of vitamin C, pantothenic acid, copper, biotin, vitamin A, vitamin B6 & and other antioxidant compounds which play an important role in human metabolism. Muskmelon provides potassium, a rich source of beta-carotene, and vitamin C.
- Ice Apple: Known as tadgola in Marathi, Hindi & Nungu in Tamil Nadu. This rare coastal fruit is found in regions of Tamil Nadu and Maharashtra. It provides hydration due to its high water content and contains a good amount of calcium, and phosphorus.
- Sabja: In a season like a summer where heat boils are usually seen. That is when sabja aids by providing hydration and curing it.
Soak 10g of sabja in about 150 ml of water to get good results.
- Mango: The king of the season has unfortunately been misinterpreted for being the reason for weight gain and heating quality. It contains a bioactive compound called mangiferin that is anti-diabetic,anti-viral, cardio, hepatic and neuroprotective, anti-inflammatory, and anti-carcinogenic. It is rich in beta-carotene, Vitamin C.
Raw mango can be used to make Aam Panna.
- Bael : Bael or wood apple has cooling properties and has phytoconstituents like phenolics, vitamins, mucilage, fibre. It helps in relieving digestive problems, relieves fatigue, protects against sun-stroke and soothes the body.
- Gulkand: It is cooling, antimicrobial, and antioxidant. It reduces body heat and one must have it during summer. It deals with heat-related problems like fatigue, aches, muscle pain and stomach heat. It can be had as teaspoonfuls in milk or as a sherbet.
- Sattu: It is a protein-rich flour made from powdered chana(Bengal gram). It prevents the body from overheating and brings down the temperature. It is rich in nutrients like protein, calcium, and iron. Its high fibre content helps people suffering from diabetes and high cholesterol.
- Poppy seeds: Also known as khus, it is popularly known as a traditional coolant. These are nutritionally dense with high levels of minerals like calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus and potassium. Khus halwa, khus sharbat, and badam khus doodh are some recipes you should try this summer
- Buttermilk: This humble drink is an intelligent combination of curd, salt, water, hing with some jeera powder added to provide an instant cooling effect to the body. It is full of electrolytes and is one of the best drinks to fight against the heat and loss of water from the body and prickly heat.
So instead of trying your hands on soft drinks and other energy drinks, relish the above-mentioned foods and enjoy your Summer.