Think of the last time you had a good laugh while you were having a gala time with your friends or the time your favorite comedian told the funniest joke you have ever heard or while simply watching your most enjoyed sitcom. How did that make you feel? Did you feel light and relieved? In that particular moment, nothing else mattered except how cheerful and elated you were. The feeling that trickled down your spine and took away all the burden from your shoulders. That is how laughing can make you feel. Moreover, it has been scientifically proven that laughing has a significant role in affecting your health. It is a great stressbuster, reduces pain and even improves your performance. Medically speaking, stress promotes the working of blood vessels and relaxes the whole body.
Here are 5 reasons as to why you should practice laughing more often and how it can affect your health:
- It boosts immunity: We all know how important it is to have a well-functioning immune system. Laughing decreases the production of stress hormones and prompts the body to produce more antibodies. These antibodies are responsible for fighting off any bacteria or virus that enters the body. Thus, it keeps your body in good shape and makes you better prepared to defeat any foreign substance.
- Laughing releases endorphins: Endorphin is a hormone that is released by the pituitary gland. This hormone helps in reducing pain and stress. Lack of endorphins is linked to depression and headaches. Laughing is a good way of releasing endorphins that boosts pleasure and enhances the feeling of overall well-being.
- Promotes a healthy heart: For a healthy and disease-free heart, laughing proves beneficial. It improves the blood vessel function and increases the blood flow in the body. Better blood circulation in the body reduces the chances of cardiovascular diseases. So, laughing can make both, you and your heart happy.
- Restores positivity: Laughing can make a person feel good. It lightens your mood and can even boost a feeling of positivity and well-being. Laughing produces hormones that aid you in coping with your immediate fears or problems. Laughing also sets you free from anxiety and provides your comfort.
- Laughing burns calories: Laughing every day for around 10 to 15 minutes can burn up to 10 to 40 calories. Even though it’s not a lot, at least it’s something. Laugh to your heart’s content and burn down those calories!
We often spend hours giggling away while watching sitcoms and comedy series because we find comfort in doing so. Laughing promotes overall well-being and calms your body down. Laughter is indeed the best medicine!