A good night’s sleep is very crucial for a healthy body, mind, and soul. Sleep helps refresh the mind and rejuvenate the body, which is the time when the body cells are being repaired. It is important that you get at least 8 hours of sound sleep.
Every sound is not pleasant, not at all at the time of night. Noise is something very unpleasant and unappealing. A quiet and peaceful environment can increase the sleep quality whereas, if you sleep in noise or distractions, it can lead to a decrease in sleep quality and quantity. There is a difference between noise and pleasant environmental music.
Here 5 Such Reasons To Make You Believe That Noise Does Affect Sleep Satisfaction:
- No Mental Peace- the noises disturb the functioning of the brain and even more when it’s time for a quiet sleep. After doing all the bedtime rituals, when you go to the bed for that beauty sleep, you surely don’t want someone shouting or honking in your ears. With all the noises coming to your head, you would not feel like sleeping and the mental peace would go away.
- Decreased Sleep Duration- noises from surroundings will keep you awake late at night or even lead to a fragmented and disrupted sleep schedule. You may wake up in the middle of the night wondering what noise it is or when it will stop and you will do every possible thing to sleep peacefully without any noise. All this will result in decreased sleep quantity.
- Not Good For Your Mood- if you sleep well, you wake up fresh. Not getting enough sleep will lead to an irritated mood and sleep debt. Also, work productivity will decrease and you would always want to crawl back to bed. No good night’s sleep will lead to no sleep satisfaction during the day and the long naps may even disturb your sleep at night.
- Increase in Hormone Production- scientifically it is said that nighttime noise may cause an increase in the level of hormones. The increase in stress will lead to an increase in cortisol and will increase the production of glucose ultimately disturbing the brain’s functioning. Adrenaline is said to rise in times of distress from the environment, leading to abrupt body functioning.
- Heart Rate Increases- the increase in hormones such as adrenaline may elevate the heart rate and blood pressure. Long-term effects of noises during sleeping can lead to heart disease and diabetes.
For better sleep quality, you can try closing your windows at nighttime, plugging in your ears, playing some soothing music in the bedroom, having warmer lights, adding thick curtains, and even turning off alarms and appliance noises.
Practice good sleep hygiene and try minimizing noises for optimum sleep satisfaction. You will surely wake up fresh and energized after a goodnight’s sleep!