Microgreens are mostly young vegetable that is harvested after the cotyledon leaves have developed. They are similar to baby leaves wherein only their stems and leaves are considered to be edible. The introduction of microgreens was done in the 1980s by a Californian restaurant. These greens are aromatic and are rich in flavour and welcome a splash of colour to a variety of dishes. They also add a nutritional punch like a higher amount of potassium, iron, zinc, magnesium and copper to the diet. Depending upon the category of microgreens, they vary in taste which can go up from neutral to spicy or slightly sour.
Health Benefits of Consuming Microgreens
Eating micro greens result in the reduction of various health-related problems. Microgreens offer several health benefits as listed below.
- Helps in managing weight: Microgreens are packed with essential nutrients like vitamins, minerals, and fibre that satiate a human body for a longer period of time and helps in losing weight. Not only this, consuming a diet rich in microgreens help in protecting a human body from various types of diseases. You can add various types of microgreens salads with natural salad dressing in your diet for an instant punch of nutrients.
- Save you from harmful environmental pollution: Microgreens are a great source of antioxidants. It helps in the elimination of harmful toxic substances and environmental pressures such as pollution from the human body.
- Minimize the risks of heart diseases: Microgreens are a rich source of polyphenols (a class of antioxidants) that is connected with a lower risk of heart diseases.
- Alzheimer’s disease: Microgreens also helps in lowering the risks of Alzheimer’s disease as it is rich in antioxidants. Antioxidant-rich food generally has a high content of polyphenols levels helps in coping up with Alzheimer’s.
- Lower down the risk of diabetes: Being rich in antioxidants content microgreens helps in curing diabetes as it prevents sugar from entering into cells. You can add microgreens in your diet by including it in your sandwiches, wraps, and salads. Also, it can be consumed by blending in the form of a smoothie and a juice (wheatgrass juice). Another option might be used as a garnish on the top of pizzas or curries.
Over to you
Microgreens is a vital part of our diet and its nutritional content and richness in flavour help in the reduction of various diseases. It is also an effective way to boost our nutrient intake with the brownie point of easy preparation.