Karwachauth Eve- Tips for Healthy Fasting
By Nmami Agarwal 03-Nov 2020 Reading Time: 5 Mins
Karwa Chauth is a one-day festival which is going to be celebrated on 4th November this year. The festival strengthens relationships, which is why it is of special importance to married couples. On the day of Karwa Chauth, married women keep a ritual vow and pray for their husband’s long life and happiness. Post-Diwali and Dussehra, if you are all done with those sugary and fried foods and want to go a healthy way during this fast, then here are some tips that definitely helps you in making your fasting happy and healthy. Following these tips not only adds up to your energy levels but also provide you amply of nutrients so that you won’t suffer from any health complication. Needless to say, fasting all day is certainly not an easy thing and those who are doing it for the very first time will definitely find it difficult.
Here are some tips to ensure easy and healthy fasting
- Add more fruits like bananas, papaya, pomegranates, berries, apples, etc. in your sargi. Fruits are rich in various vitamins and minerals and help in keeping you feel fuller for a long period of time. Fruits are loaded with fibre which keeps you energetic throughout the day.
- Avoid eating fried and oily food like parathas and fritters in the morning as they are heavy and may lead you to dizziness. Instead, have a multigrain chapati with vegetables and cottage cheese. Make sure that your sargi thali is light yet nutritious.
- Avoid taking tea and coffee as it can lead to dehydration. Instead, you can drink a glass of fruit juice, milk, buttermilk or amla shot. These drinks provide ample nutrients and antioxidants which promote satiety and amp up your energy levels.
- Go ahead and pick natural sweetener like dates, figs or apricots instead of sweets because too much sugar can dehydrate your body and may also increase your appetite.
- Drink as much water as possible a day before starting off your fast. Consume unstrained vegetable juices, jeera water, fennel seeds water, peach tea, moringa tea in addition to water. By doing so, you will feel energetic and your body will remain hydrated.
- Add nuts and seeds in your sargi thali. Nuts and seeds are rich in omega 3s fatty acids, protein and various other essential nutrients that help in keeping you feel fuller for a longer period of time.
- Relaxation is really vital during the fast. You should have had enough sleep a day before Karwa Chauth. Take at least 6-7 hours of sleep. Doing so will make you feel refreshed the next day and you won’t be too tired.
Keeping the fast whole day without a drop of water or food makes a person acidic. Avoid spicy and greasy food and go for protein-based foods like fruit yoghurt, rice kheer, sabudana kheer, chilled rose milk, soya milk, rice water, coconut milk and paneer bhurji. Protein helps to curb fatigue and acidity. We recommend you to avoid fibrous food immediately after fasting as they cause heaviness and bloating, and you wouldn’t be able to consume the next meal.
Over to you:
These were some healthy tips that you can follow while keeping fasting.
We wish you a happy and healthy Karwa Chauth!