It is rightly known that laughter is good, but very few people realize how valuable these simple tools are to our daily well-being. Laughter helps to heal and dissolve everything.
World Laughter Day is celebrated on the first Sunday of May each year to raise awareness about the numerous healing benefits of laughter. It marks with the aim of promoting world peace, brotherhood, and friendship among all. On this day the society is reminded that laughter is the best medicine to ward off the danger of modern day monotonous and mechanized lifestyles.
Humour in itself is also a way to increase retention of information in learning and educational settings because of the higher number of mental connections between the information and emotional responses (laughter). A good humour not only bust’s stress but also induces a lot of physical changes in your body. Well, there is so much more to those giggles than just raising your spirits.
Well, laughter is the Best Medicine and hence, there are various benefits of laughter:
- Eases the Body: Laughter relieves physical tension and stress, leaving your muscle relaxed for up to 45 minutes after
- Activates the release of Endorphins: Endorphins are the body’s natural feel-good chemicals. They help boost a sense of well-being and can even temporarily relieve pain.
- Safeguard the heart: Laughter increases blood flow and improves the function of blood vessels, which can help protect you against a heart attack and other cardiovascular problems.
- Helps in Burning calories: Laughing for 10 to 15 minutes a day can burn about 40 calories which could be enough to lose three or four pounds over the course of a year.
- Overcome anger: Working towards the funny side can put problems into perspective and enable you to move on from confrontations without holding onto bitterness or resentment.
- Help maintain relationships Enjoy better relationships and communication by sharing laughter with your partner. Laughter diffuses differences most of the time and helps you bond better and stay connected.
- Long-lasting: Someone with a strong sense of humour outlives those who don’t laugh as much.
So, when you laugh; You change and the world around you changes. A Laugh has the power to change internal chemistry and make us feel good from the inside out. Perhaps, when you feel good inside, it changes your perception about the outside world too.
In general, laughter is an uncomplicated and most economical way of physical, mental, social and spiritual well-being.
Over to you:
Always remember to laugh out loud several times a day because apparently a laugh a day keeps the Doctor away.