A snack and appetizer so good that everyone will dig into! Hummus is the most loved appetizer to put out for a party. If you’re not familiar then let us tell you, hummus is a delicious dip or spread made from lemon, tahini, chickpeas and spices. But here we’re replacing chickpeas with roasted carrots and sweet potatoes. Since, it have the same creamy consistency as that of the chickpeas, so we can substitute it.
Sweet potatoes contain both types of fiber i.e. soluble and insoluble and the body cannot digest either type of fibre and thus, stays in your digestive tract and provides gut related health benefits. Certain types of soluble fibre helps in smooth bowel movement. Carrots have antioxidants which may protect against cancer and provide good amount of vitamin A which prevents vision due to the presence of beta-carotene.
- 25 grams peeled and cut carrots into 2 inch slices
- 25 grams peeled and diced sweet potato
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon coriander
- Salt to taste
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon tahini
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2-3 tablespoons of water
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
Calories: 105 Kcal
Carbs: 8.8 grams
Proteins: 1.4 grams
Fats: 7.1 grams
- Preheat oven to 200 degree Celsius and line an aluminium baking sheet with foil.
- Place the chopped carrots and sweet potato onto the sheet and grease with the olive oil.
- Sprinkle on the cumin, paprika and coriander and season with salt and freshly grounded black pepper.
- Toss everything together until evenly coated then roast in oven at 200 degree Celsius for 20-30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Place the roasted carrots and sweet potato into a food processor with the blade attachment.
- Add in the tahini, lemon juice, water and season with salt and pepper.
- Let it turn into a purée.
- Taste for seasoning then serve topped with chopped parsley and cilantro.
Over to you
With these simple steps, you can make really yummy and creamy smooth homemade hummus and of course, it’s better than processed or store bought one. You can serve this dish with flatbread. A spoon of fresh lemon juice is really important for excellent hummus. You can make the hummus more flavourful by adding some more ingredients of your choice like roasted red peppers or olives.