Stews took a big leap up this year. Stews are not only about chicken; this fabulous vegetarian stew will make your autumns warm and cosy!
Spinach has a great amount of calcium that helps strengthen your bones to fight against injuries. Moreover, Vitamins A, C, fiber, folic acid, and other nutrients that help fight against colon and breast cancers. Spinach is good for lowering the damage of protein levels in the blood and can protect against high blood pressure levels and heart diseases. Coconut is a good source of nutrients, have antioxidant properties and have health benefits against diabetes and kidney stone. Chickpeas are the rich source of protein, dietary fibres, vitamins, minerals and fibres.
- ½ cup drained and rinsed chickpeas
- ¼ cup of coconut milk
- 1 small onion
- 2 tablespoon chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 4 leaves of baby spinach
- ½ inch peeled and minced garlic
- ½ tablespoon peeled and grated fresh ginger
- ½ tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Grated zest of ½ lemon
- ½ teaspoon chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- Salt as per taste
- 1 teaspoon rice bran oil
Recommended For: Diabetes, kidney stone and high blood pressure
- Heat the oil or ghee in an oven or heavy pot over medium-high flame. Add the onion and cook until the onion started to turn brown (will take about 5 minutes). Add the sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, fresh ginger, lemon zest, and red pepper (if using). Cook for 3 minutes and stir frequently.
- Add the chickpeas and cook on a high flame for a few minutes (until the chickpeas start turning to golden).
- Toss in the spinach, one handful at a time. This will take about 5 minutes; stir in a handful or two and wait for it to wilt down.
- Make space in the pot before adding the next handful. When all the spinach is added, add the coconut milk, lemon juice, ground ginger, and salt. Bring a simmer to it then turn down the heat and cook until the chickpeas are warmed through (it will take about 10 minutes).
- Taste and season with more salt and lemon juice, if needed. Serve hot over roasted sweet potatoes with cilantro leaves.
Over to you
This delicious healthy stew is perfect for your lunch as it will give you the necessary macro and micronutrients along with the sense of cosiness.