Thalassemia is a blood disorder which destroys red blood cells and leads to anemia. In order to raise awareness, few protection and treatment programs are launched and that day is marked as world thalassemia day. The main objective is to help and support the patients and public at large. Apart from the proper treatment, it is essential to obtain a healthy diet. The food for thalassemia should consist of all the vital thalassemia nutrition since the nutritional requirements increase during thalassemia.
Thalassemia diet should comprise of the following food groups to keep the things under control as well as push away the threat of developing the disease:
- High Iron Content Foods: Iron aids in carrying the oxygen to the blood. Iron deficiency can drain your energy. Iron scarcity can lead to multiple problems. For proper functioning of the hemoglobin, iron is must. Therefore, make sure to include high iron portion in your diet. Iron improves cognitive function, muscle function, treats anemia and abolishes fatigue. It also boosts energy and promotes quick metabolic processes. Some of the foods with high iron content are beans, lentils, spinach, pumpkin seeds and dry fruits.
- Foods With Vitamin D: Vitamin D is essential for the optimum functioning of the body. The patients suffering for thalassemia have been accounted for insufficient Vitamin D count. It also manages diabetes, maintains healthy bones, support cardiovascular health, removes lethargy and boosts mood. Therefore, it is important to ensure adequate intake of vitamin D. Apart from the sunlight, you can grab this nutrient from the following foods- mushrooms, eggs, salmon and more.
- Foods Rich In Vitamin C And E: Vitamin C and E helps impede oxidative stress. Vitamins are rich in antioxidants and boost iron metabolism. Vitamin C and E also promotes good bone health, stimulates immunity, maintain blood pressure, improves iron absorption and offers other potent health benefits. Both the vitamins together are extremely beneficial in developing antioxidant structure and enhance overall bodily functions. Some of the vitamin C and E rich foods are guavas, papaya, orange, broccoli, tomatoes, hazelnut, almond, peanut and green leafy veggies.
- Adequate Zinc Proportion: Zinc is a very essential nutrient which promotes proper growth. In order to ensure optimum immune function, zinc is instrumental. Zinc improves bone health in thalassemia patients. Zinc also reduces inflammation and speed up wound healing. It is important to check that the body is not in defied of the zinc levels. Some of the foods with highest zinc levels are eggs, wholegrain, legumes, pumpkin seeds, hemp seeds, kale and mushrooms.
- Calcium Dosage: Calcium is an indispensible nutrient. It promotes and builds strong bones as well as teeth. Strong bone structure is very essential for the thalassemia patients; therefore, it is eminent to incorporate adequate proportion of calcium content in the diet. Foods rich in calcium are yogurt, cheese, beans, almonds, oranges and berries.
Over to You
The suggestions may not offer a complete thalassemia treatment but this surely help to control the situation and curb the risk of developing the same. Therefore, make superior dietary choices to check on better health.