Stress is an ongoing process that each one of us face at every moment. It is a reason for various health conditions ranging from general headache to serious diseases. But little did you know that stress causes acne too and is a major reason behind awful acne and blemishes that you face.
Did you ever notice that your acne flares out even more when you are stressed out? The answer is, your skin is covered with small holes which connect to oil glands called sebaceous glands. These glands release an oily substance called sebum that mixes with dead skin cells and bacteria. This clogs the hair follicle and consequently you see dreadful pimples and acne on your skin.When you are exposed to stressful conditions and are emotionally and psychologically distressed too, these glands produce more oil or sebum which ultimately leads to more acne in stress. Also, stress is responsible for triggering hormonal changes that worsen acne.
However, a balanced diet and regular eating pattern can help reduce the severity of stress induced acne. So, lets know about acne nutrition and get a glimpse of acne diet.
- Include Complex Carbohydrates: Consume complex carbs like whole grains such as oats, multi grain breads, quinoa, barley and pulses and legumes. They have low glycemic load even which further reduce risk of developing acne.
- Add Zinc To Diet: Zinc is an important mineral for your physical and cognitive development. It is found that this dietary mineral positively impacts your skin as well. It stimulates metabolism and regulate hormone levels. Low levels of acne were linked to severe cases of acne. So, get your dose of zinc from lean meat such as egg, fish and chicken, seafoods, whole grains and nuts and oils seeds.
- Add Vitamins As Well: We all know that vitamins and minerals are essential for our health. But when it comes to acne Vitamin A, C and E play a major role. All these three vitamins act as antioxidants as they help in cell differentiation and are also believed to have antiaging properties. Vitamin C is also considered as a skin nourisher and brightener. So, get your dose of these vitamins from colourful and citrus fruits and vegetables and nuts and oil seeds.
- No Refined Sugar And Processed Foods: It is found that people who consume refined sugar or processed foods to get rid of stress get acne easily. The reason is these simple sugars get dissolved in the blood stream rapidly because of which there is a spike in blood glucose levels and insulin levels as well. More insulin production is linked to more oil production ultimately leading to acne.
- Drink Lots Of Water: Water is crucial for our body and act as fuel especially in summers. Italso flushes out toxins from your body which have got accumulated thereby making you feel fresh and enthusiastic. It also reduces your stress levels and thereby your acne too. Make a target of drinking at least 3-4 litres of water in a day.
- Practice Tension Taming Techniques: Certain techniques such as yoga, meditation, deep breathing exercises can help your body to deal with stress and be at calm state. If you can manage your stress, the problem of acne will also be solved to a greater extent.
Over to You
Stress and acne go hand in hand. By following these simple tips in your life, you can feel the difference and will be able to manage stress induced acne in a better way.