Hangover can be defined as a state of having ‘Drunk Yesterday’ and most probably we all have been there.
It is sometimes much more than a terrible headache and it grows. It may seem like the brain is swelling but in real the brain is actually shrinking. Sleep after alcohol causes body bereft of liquid and the body requires optimal water from various sources to combat the condition.
Choice of alcohol
More or less, every alcohol causes dehydration and hangover but intensity of hangover can differ with the selection of drinks. It can bring huge difference in how you feel next morning. The sequence of drinks you can choose from the spectrum of feeling best to worst can be Vodka, gin, tequila, dry cider, dry champagne, dry white wine, white wine, red wine, dessert wine, beer.
Here Beer is most toxic in terms of causing hangover and vodka being least.
Dietary hangover hacks
Water keeps you hydrated and since alcohol can make you lose out on the water levels, drinking water while having alcohol and after is a sure shot way of dealing with hangover.
There are other things as well that can save you from hangover. Let’s read out some!
- Avocado: Drinking alcohol can decrease potassium level in body however; eating avocado can raise the potassium levels in the body. Avocado contains components that protect liver injury. Since, alcohol can miserably affect liver; avocado can be beneficial in curing hangovers.
- Oats: Oats contains complex carbohydrates which help in providing slow carbs in the blood and helps in getting over hangover. Having complex carbs in breakfast can lead to improved mood and feeling of fatigue.
- Lemons: A glass of lukewarm lemon water is a traditional and effective remedy to overcome the unpleasant effects of a hangover. You can have lemon ginger tea, or add lemon juice to your black tea for an effective hangover remedy. Lemons work by balancing the PH levels of the body.
- Coconut water: Hydration is the key to get over hangover. Coconut water contains a lot of electrolytes like sodium, potassium, magnesium and phosphorus. It can effectively re store your electrolytes levels, balance the fluids and is really effective drink for rehydration.
- Ginger: Use of ginger is effective remedy for nausea. The anti-nausea effects of ginger help in recovering from upset stomach in hangover. It can be infused in your tea, soups or grated over a salad or you can add it to your smoothies.
- Eggs: Eggs have cysteine- used by body to produce the antioxidant glutathione. Consuming alcohol can reduce the body store of body glutathione due to that body face hard time in breaking down the toxic byproducts of alcohol metabolism. Consuming eggs to cure hangover is an effective remedy.
Over to you
Drinking alcohol seems fascinating when it comes to get together or parties but also causes awful next mornings, hydrating yourself and these foods hacks can help you deal with even terrible hangover times.