Protein is a macronutrient which is composed of amino acids; it breaks down and fuels muscle mass. Protein enhances immunity and contributes to metabolism to help shed those unwanted pounds and keep your belly full. Including a source of protein along with high fiber, and grains helps to feel fuller longer and makes one eat less. A diet high in protein also lowers blood pressure, fights diabetes and provides many other health benefits.
There are a number of sources of natural protein sources, some of which are: –
- Egg Whites: -The protein present in an egg is a complete protein as it has all essential amino acids. Egg whites are low in cholesterol, high in protein and also low in fat, which makes them the perfect food for a healthy and nutritious breakfast. Egg white protein is shown to increase resistance muscle strength – especially in females. These are among the healthiest and most nutritious foods on the planet, loaded with vitamins, minerals, healthy fats, eye-protecting antioxidants, and brain nutrients.
- Tofu: -Tofu is a great alternative to meat and is used in a variety of Indian dishes. Apart from proteins, tofu is also rich in magnesium iron, and other essential nutrients. Tofu reduces heart diseases by lowering bad cholesterol and promoting good cholesterol. The best thing about tofu is it takes on the flavor of the foods you cook it with. So, you can replace beef or chicken with tofu in a stir-fry.
- Lentils: -Lentils are a type of legume, they are the world’s best plant-based source of protein. Lentils are a rich source of magnesium, iron, folate, manganese and various other nutrients. They are a portion of excellent food for vegetarians and vegans. Soybeans, kidney beans, and chickpeas are all good sources of protein.
- Milk and Cottage Cheese: – Although Milk is a highly nutritious and good source of protein, the problem is that the larger percentage of the world’s population is intolerant to it. However, the ones who can tolerate milk, then milk can be an excellent source of high-quality protein. A little bit of every nutrient needed by the human body is present in milk. It can provide several impressive health benefits. It is high in calcium, phosphorous and riboflavin. On the other hand, cottage cheese made naturally out of milk is relatively high in dietary protein, and is also associated with improved healthy muscle gain, recovery and performance improvement.
- Brussels Sprouts: – is another high-protein vegetable, related to broccoli. Being a good source of Vitamin C, high in fiber and other nutrients, It is one of the healthiest foods you can eat. It can be added in salads or sautéed with a mix of vegetables to get the health benefits along with good taste.
- Quinoa: – is the most popular super food that contains sufficient amounts of all nine essential amino acids. Quinoa contains antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and is loaded with fibre. It is gluten free which makes the best option for the people suffering from celiac disease and is high in protein. Add this to the salads or make a vegetable biryani to get all its benefits and relieve your taste buds.
We are always told the benefits of eating good quality whole foods but also that supplements play a key role in what we do and that we should use these as well. Protein supplements may be more expensive than a similar amount of whole-food proteins Protein powders are a really quick source of protein and provide a quick digesting hit that you can take anywhere with you Protein powders also require next to no preparation which saves a lot of time.
Let’s take a look at some basic protein supplements that we all take and see where they come out.
- Whey Powder: – Whey protein is a high-quality protein from dairy foods, shown to be very effective at building muscle mass, and may help with weight loss. When your protein intake and energy intake is reduced, whey protein could help you get greater utilization of the smaller amount of protein that you are taking in.
- Pea Protein: – The most popular protein powder among vegetarians, vegans and people with allergies or sensitivities to dairy or eggs is pea protein powder. It’s made from the split pea (yellow), a high-fiber legume that the essential amino acids.
- Soy Protein: -Soybeans are one of the few plant-based proteins that offer all of the essential amino acids. The protein is concentrated or isolated after the soybeans have been hulled and dried into soy flour. Protein from the soybean may help improve the body’s immune system and promote bone health.
Although protein powders are used to supplement the body if there is less protein but too much can lead to health issues such as nausea, cramps, fatigue, headaches and bloating. Also, too much consumption of protein can lead to a risk of dehydration.
Over to you: –
The biggest thing to remember with dietary supplements is that they are just there to supplement your daily diet. If your diet is not healthy, no amount of supplements is going to give you the results you want. Focus on real food as much as you can, then use supplements to fill in the gaps only under the supervision of a nutritionist. Constructing an eating plan with whole foods, rather than supplements helps you learn how to make good food choices to sustain your health throughout your life.