Women’s bodies undergoes physiological shifts after the age of 50 that can have an impact on long-term health. Metabolism is no longer same as it used to be earlier. Women’s hormone levels are at a roller coaster and the bones may start to loose density.Hot flashes, night sweats, mood swings, dry skin, bloating, weight gain and bone loss are the symptoms that occur during premenopausal and menopausal stage. These symptoms usually are seen after the age of 50 but in some women these symptoms appear a little early as compared to others.
Women’s bones thin in this age, making them susceptible to fractures and osteoporosis (Thinning of bones) which may cause difficulty in walking, joint pain, swelling and fragility.
One of the effective way to get rid of these symptoms is to maintain a healthy lifestyle and buy eating healthy. These are some foundation foods that are great for women’s health and can help with menopausal symptoms. These are as follows:
- Water. Menopausal Symptoms like Vaginal dryness and dry skin are caused by decreased estrogenlevels , Thus minimum eight glasses of water a day can help maintain your skin’s moisture and offset dryness. Drinking water also helps in decreasing bloating that occurs with hormonal changes.
- Calcium. Calcium needs increase during menopause because the loss of estrogen can speed up bone loss. Thus intake of calcium rich foods like milk and its products, eggs, ragi, chickpeas etc. .
- Vitamin D. Vitamin D is also critical for protecting your bones during menopause. Major source of vitamin D is sunlight, but many of women are not able to get essential amount of sunlight . Thus deficiency of Vitamin D is very prevalent. Dietary sources for vitamin D include tuna, meat , egg . But for vegetarians there are less options available which can meet up vitamin D requirements. Thus many of doctors recommend Vitamin D supplements for so.
- Fruits and vegetables. Metabolism slows down as one gets older, and women tend to become more sedentary which adds up to weight gain. Thus By having low-calorie and fiber rich fruits and vegetables, one can minimize weight gain along with all the vitamin and minerals to stay healthy.
- Iron. Iron needs actually go down during menopausal years. Thus one must have recommended intake of iron only.
- Flaxseed. Flaxseed is a wonderful plant-based food with omega-3 fatty acids. One can powdered flaxseed on cereal, yogurt, and salads. It is rich in fiber and keeps arteries healthy along with components that keep estrogen levels balanced.
Over to you:
Women entering into this phase should avoid alcohol, sugary foods, caffeine, and spicy foods, as they trigger hot flashes, aggravate urinary incontinence , increase mood swings, and increase bone loss.
Many women have spent their entire lives in taking care of others now they should strive to live healthy and disease free life by maintaining a healthy life style and including essential nutrients in their diet.