We all are aware of the most commonly used spice in every household is turmeric but not all are aware with its health benefits. This aromatic ingredient has been in use for thousand for years which adds flavor to the food. Turmeric powder contains various medicinal properties and multiple health benefits which makes it a must have ingredient to be included to our daily diet.
The most active compound in turmeric is called cucuminoids with curcumin which act as the most active ingredient in it. Other than being a powerful anti-inflammatory ancient Indian spice, it also upholds strong antioxidant properties.
Various health benefits of turmeric
- Aids in digestion: Pain and discomfort in your stomach can be cured by turmeric which plays a great role in improving the digestion. Digestion involves the movement of food to the gallbladder that produces bile juice to break down the food. Adding a tablespoon of turmeric in your meal daily can treat digestion problems.
- Anti-inflammation: Major ingredient curcumin in turmeric helps fight chronic inflammation, repairing damage and help fight other inflammatory odds. Being an anti-oxidant it gives instant relief to the pain and swelling when applied on the affected area.
- Balances blood sugar levels: Blood sugar levels play a key role in a way your body metabolizes food. This medicinal ingredient help produce insulin that regulates blood sugar levels.
- Detoxifies the body: At times we might feel sluggish bowel movement when we wake up in the morning which also might be due to bloating. Make it a habit of consuming turmeric water and squeeze a lemon into it to keep such problems at bay.
- Boosts immune system: A healthy diet with exercise definitely assist maintaining immune system and helps in the overall well-being. The easiest of this is to include a portion of turmeric in your diet that helps preventing us from various infections, viruses and flu and also improves and boosts the immune balance.
- Treats menstrual problems: We can’t ignore menstrual or premenstrual cramps and irregular periods which are quite a common problem among women today. Turmeric is a warm ingredient which helps relieving such pains. All you need to do is to mix a pinch of turmeric powder in lukewarm milk and consume it daily for better results.
- Cholesterol control: Turmeric is an exotic traditional herb with rich dietary fiber and no cholesterol levels- this property of turmeric help in lowering the levels of bad cholesterol in the body and improves your cardiovascular health.
Over to you
Only a small portion of turmeric powder everyday aids in various health issues. Incorporate it in some way or the other in your diet but not in excessive quantity as this might cause dizziness or diarrhea.
Always remember to keep everything in moderation because everything in excess can cause harm to the body.