Karva Chauth is a very popular and an important festival for married Hindu women. It is a one-day festival, which is celebrated every year in India. On this day, married Hindu women observe ritualistic fasts called Karwa Chauth ka vrat in Hindi from sunrise to moonrise to pray for the safety and long life of their husbands.
When this day is around the corner, all women starts gearing up in advance, getting ready with their jewellery, clothes, mehendi designs and everything they need to look beautiful as per Hindu mythology (also called sola shingar).
This is one festive occasion, which all married women look forward to the whole year. Karva Chauth, despite being a sacred, fun and colourful festival, is also the most difficult fast women have to keep so it is more important to have a healthy karwa chauth!
Unlike other occasional fasts, this one requires them not to eat anything the entire day along with that women are not even supposed to have a sip of water until the moon arises in the sky.
Karwa chauth fast can be tiring and exhausting and it drains all your energy as whole day you are supposed stay empty stomach. So, here we have come up with some guidelines to help you out at the time of fast breaking ritual!
After the fast
- Don’t break your fast with highvcalorie foods, as it can disrupt your digestive system, leading to constipation and other digestive problems. Instead, opt for foods that are high in protein and fibre but low in calories. This will help your digestive system get back on track but will also give a boost to your weight loss plan along with helping you stay tuned to a healthier and fitter body.
- Break your fast slowly and don’t shock your system with caffeine-based drinks or fried foods. Rather, start with a glass of water, or fresh homemade unsweetened vegetable juice.
- Include protein-rich foods in your meal that will help you in decreasing hunger and induce a feeling of satiation.
- Go for low-glycaemic index carbohydrates, like vegetables, whole grains, beans and legumes. Whole grains can be taken in the form of roti’s or chapattis, and some rice with pulses or dal.
- Have a bowl of plain curd after your fast.
What to avoid during fast?
- Avoid fried and fatty foods, alcohol, caffeinated drinks immediately after the fast or as a part of Karwa Chauth fast meals.
- Make sure that you do not overeat as overeating after fasting is common but can cause severe stomach issues causing indigestion or stomach ache.
- Don’t go for sugary tea or coffee which can cause dehydration. Rather opt for a refreshing drink of lemon water which is packed with vitamin C- will detoxify your blood and boost your immune system.
- Avoid too much of fatty foods and sweets as part of your karwa chauth fasting food that can make you feel dizzy, thirsty and hungry sooner because they affect the insulin activity.
Over to you
Here are some guidelines which you can abide by to make your fasting a healthy and happy experience. This fast is bit difficult as even water is not consumed. Make sure that the recipes for karwa chauth are health-giving and nutritious. So, by keeping certain tips in mind you can carry forward your fast in a healthy way.