The familiar but not so normal state where, what you feel when life demands exceed your ability to meet those demands is stress. Cortisol- a hormone has very significant role in helping the body respond to stress. During ‘fight or flight’ mechanism the adrenal gland releases cortisol also known as hydrocortisone in response to fear and stress. It’s a steroid hormone that regulates a wide range of processes throughout the body, including metabolism and the immune response.
Excess of cortisol
‘Twenty one century syndrome’ leads most of us to experience a state of perpetual stress; it’s a state of always being in rush, worried and frantic. Elevated levels of cortisol disrupt almost all our body processes which include anxiety, depression, digestive problems, heart diseases, head ache, obesity, and memory and concentration impairment.
Ever felt like having chocolates during stress? That helps! Various elements can be added in our diet in order to get rid of cortisol.
- Black Tea shots: Black tea can be the best thing to have in order to significantly reduce stress. It helps in lower cortisol quickly due to which it also helps in reducing horrible feeling related to stress and also the risk of blood clots and heart attacks.
- Blueberries: To fight stress, antioxidants and phytonutrients present in blueberries fight off the stress levels in your defense while helping improve your body’s response to stress and stress-related free radicals.
- Dark chocolates: Cocoa helps in stabilizing plaques and minimizes their risk of rupture by reducing smooth muscle cell proliferation. One to two bites can significantly improve mood and mood chemicals.
- Fatty Fish: Fatty fish such as salmon sardines, mackerel and other oily cold –water fish can reduce the levels cortisol and stress due to omega 3 fatty acids present in them.
- Banana: Banana is rich in magnesium which helps in controlling cortisol and also other magnesium rich foods like green leaf vegetables can be supporting in banishing cortisol.
Apart from diet, sufficient sleep, sunlight, deep breathing, exercise and mindful meditation also helps in controlling Cortisol.
Over to you
Every person has different levels of breaking down depends on how much stress they can take. Potassium rich diets, carbohydrates, vitamin C, omega 3s in our diets can help in releasing balanced cortisol levels which help us dealing with stress and all related body processes.