Oats are now turned as a staple morning food that is rich in soluble fibers and helps in lowering cholesterol levels. These soluble fibers aid in increasing intestinal transit and reduce glucose absorption. Also, it holds beta glucan responsible for lowering lipid. Other than that, these whole grains are laden with nutrients such as vitamins, minerals and antioxidants that help keep our body healthy. Oats are milled, steamed, heated and cooled in a kiln, which brings out its flavor. Further on, oats are rolled, steel cut and ground to produce flakes and flour. All of them fall in of favor, but not oatmeal.
Oatmeal is prepared by boiling oats in water or milk and served in breakfast considering it being a great meal to kick start the day. But, you will be surprised to know that oatmeal has its own downside.
What causes impediments in oatmeal? Do you really get the required nutrition from oatmeal?
Let’s watch out, what makes oatmeal and not so healthy!
- The instant and masala oatmeal: Seeking for instant meal idea may lead to an unhealthy option of instant oatmeal or masala oatmeal. Most of the instant oatmeal or masala contains artificial color and added ingredients like salt, sugar, oil and flavor enhancer to make the taste different. This in a way takes away the nutritional benefit and makes it an unhealthy option.
- The wrong combination: The things that generally make the dish unhealthy is the wrong combination. We tend to combine oats with milk, granola, salt and other home based additives which quickly diminish or offset its health and nutritional benefits. Considering the fact that you are looking for a healthy breakfast, these add-ons is not good and may have negative health effects leading to weight gain, high blood sugar levels and increased risk of heart disease.
- Homely filler: It seems an easy option of adding sugar and frozen fruits such as berries in oatmeal as adding such fillers seem an easy way to get energy. However, boarding such homely fillers may not give you the expected results you actually seek for. Furthermore, excess sugar used while preparing oatmeal makes it again an unhealthily meal to have.
- The Timing of oatmeal: Eating food may sound very simple in itself, but it's the simple mistake that makes a huge difference. Food timing is an essential part of getting the required nutrients. Considering oatmeal a healthy option, many of us tend to have it in dinner which thus takes longer to digest as it swells up also, it’s rich in protein (takes longer to breakdown) and keeps your digestive system working.
Tips to have oats in the healthiest forms
So now, let’s know the best possible ways to include oats in its original and healthiest form.
- Oats have a well-balanced and nutritious composition and so does its flour. Hence, making chapatti will serve all the nutrients present in it.
- Adding avocado, berries, yogurt, nuts and seeds in oats bowl will not just give an additional flavor but will also uplift its nutritional values.
- Oats upma is another way of incorporating finest and healthiest version of oats in your diet by using green peas, chopped carrot, onion, beans, mustard and cumin seeds while preparing it.
- Another, easiest and nutritious approach to have oats is oats cheela. Have it with mint chutney in breakfast.
- Pick any of your favorite fruits and accompany it with a spoon full of oats to make oats smoothie. Fresh and healthy to enjoy!
Over to You:
Oatmeal is an easy breakfast idea but an exaggerated meal loaded with unnecessary elements including excessive calories. Better opt for healthy options suggested above that will give you the required nutrients with increased nutritional value of oats.