Act before it’s too late! This world cancer day calls for some action! Action as in to prevent the causes of cancer and to know about it at the earliest. Cancer is a life-threatening medical condition which is totally unpredictable if you are unaware of the symptoms and can become incurable if not detected early. This world cancer day we aim to create awareness about all the facts related to cancer and certain changes in your dietary lifestyle which will prevent you from falling under this disease.
Cancer and its causes
When cells start dividing abnormally- which happens due to the mutations in DNA, the cells become cancerous. The cells may grow rapidly or fail to grow or there can be mistakes in the formation of cells. The factors responsible for such condition can be smoking, excessive drinking, exposure to sun, obesity, etc. Also, the type of food you eat contributes too. Unhealthy food can also lead you to cancerous cell formation. Paying attention to such normal things can save you from this life-threatening disease.
Government initiates certain steps and aids for the people who can’t afford to carry out the treatment of cancer. Some of the most popular schemes include, Central Government Health Scheme (CGHS) which provides cancer treatment to central government employees and dependents at set rates from any hospital. Others include, Health Minister’s Discretionary Grants which provides maximum of Rs. 50,000 to poor patients for cancer treatments. While these aids can definitely help the individual, the first thing to be done is to be aware of this disease. By creating awareness and passing information about this is the only way we can do our bit. Catching signs of early symptoms and getting them checked is one of the most preventable measures to start with.
Foods that can help prevent cancer
Though cancer cannot be cured totally by eating healthy food but can surely be prevented. Including the listed foods in your regular diet will actually reduce the chances of cancer and will also help you live a better and healthier life.
- Beans – Beans are a good source of fibre which may help in the prevention of colorectal cancer. Beans like black beans, kidney beans are the most nutritious ones as they have greater content of protein. Have this once a week to help working against cancer cells.
- Broccoli – The greener, the healthier! Broccoli tastes amazing and contains a compound called sulforaphane which helps in curing prostate cancer. It can also help lowering down the risks of colorectal cancer. So, grab a bowl full of broccoli salad and enjoy your feast.
- Nuts – Nuts like Brazil nuts and walnuts are good for anti-cancer effects. Brazil nuts contain selenium which helps fight against lung cancer. It also helps in curing colorectal, pancreatic and endometrial cancer. Adding a serving of these delicious nuts can make your day better while providing you with essential nutrients.
- Citrus fruits – Citrus fruits like lemons, grapefruit and oranges can help in preventing cancer. It helps fight the cancer cells of pancreatic, stomach and digestive cancer. The vitamin C content provides the basic nutritional requirements, which is a great antioxidant.
- Fatty fish – including fatty fishes in your diet can help reduce the effects of digestive tract cancer. Fatty fishes like salmon, mackerel and anchovies are rich in vitamin D and omega-3 fatty acids that help lower the risks of cancer. One serving per week can benefit your health and prevent cancer.
Over to you
Including these foods in your dietary habits can help in the prevention of cancer. Always remember prevention is better than cure and that’s what one should focus on.