Vegetable moong dal khichdi is the healthier version of conventional moong dal khichdi. Adding some vegetables to a recipe enriches the nourishment and nutrient content of a dish and also helps in better health. Moong dal khichdi is versatile! People eat it during the festival of Makar Sankranti and also in their everyday life when they are in a state of upset stomach or just want to have something light. It is easily digestible and super easy to make.
Moong dal is filled with proteins which help in the building of body muscles and tissues. Rice is good in carbohydrates and vegetables add to the nourishment provided by this dish. Vegetables like green peas, carrots, cauliflower, beans, etc. are a good source of dietary fibres which aid digestion and better health of your body.
- 20 gm of rice
- 20 gm of moong dal (split)
- 1/2 onion (chopped)-10 gm
- 1/2 tomato (chopped)-10 gm
- 10 gm each of vegetables (green peas, carrots, cauliflower and beans)
- 1/4 teaspoon of ginger
- 1/2 green chilli
- 1/2 teaspoon of cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- Pinch of asafoetida
- Water to cook
- ½ teaspoon of olive oil
- Salt to taste
Course: Lunch / Dinner
Calories: 98 Kcal
Proteins: 2.5 gm
Fats: 2.3 gm
Carbs: 12.4 gm
- Rinse moong dal and rice together. Soak them for 30 minutes.
- In a pressure cooker, heat olive oil. Add cumin seeds and let them sputter.
- Add onion, asafoetida, and sauté them until the onion turns light brown.
- Add tomatoes, ginger and green chilli. Stir and add turmeric powder and sauté until tomatoes soften. Add chopped vegetables and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Strain moong dal and rice and add them into the pressure cooker.
- Add water and stir.
- Add salt and close the lid tightly and cook it upto 4-5 whistles.
- Adjust the consistency as per your requirement.
- Serve hot with yogurt.
Over to you
You can add vegetables as per your requirement and likings. This khichdi is a total delight to have as it will be light on your stomach and easy to digest. And the best part is, it can be prepared in a moment’s notice.