Gehun khichdi is a healthy replacement to normal rice khichdi. Gehun adds healthiness to khichdi by adding dietary fiber and B vitamins.
Whole wheat is rich in fiber and B vitamin. It supports digestion and weight loss. Gehun helps in preventing heart diseases, stroke, and colon and breast cancer. Vitamin E and B vitamin also help in improving mental health and preventing diseases like Alzheimer’s disease.
- 30 gm whole wheat (gehun)
- 20 gm yellow moong dal
- ½ teaspoon mustard oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida (hing)
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Low-fat curd for serving
Calories: 144 Kcal
Carbohydrates: 24 gm
Fats: 2.8 gm
Proteins: 4.7 gm
- Clean and wash a cup full of whole wheat.
- Soak the whole wheat in water overnight. Drain well.
- Grind wheat in a mixer without using water to a coarse paste.
- Add cumin seed, green chilies and hing to heated oil in a pressure cooker.
- Add the whole wheat coarse paste and moong dal and sauté for few seconds on a medium flame.
- Add 3 ½ cup of hot water, turmeric water, and salt. Mix well and pressure cook for 6 whistles.
- Let go steam before opening the lid and mix well.
- Serve with low-fat curd.
Over to you
Gehun khichdi has numerous health benefits, easy to prepare and a filling meal. It supports your weight loss plans without the feeling of starvation and it is good for diabetic patients.