If you love to eat and enjoy exploring food and culinary traditions, Japan should be on your travel bucket list. Japan is a paradise for food gourmet around the world, where you can find vast food choices. The cuisine is influenced by various food customs, but has been adopted and redefined to create its unique cooking style and eating habits.
All about culinary traditions
Being one of the most popular cuisines in the world, Japanese food is known for its distinctive flavors. The cuisine comprises of the regional and traditional foods of Japan, which is majorly characterized by light, simple, local and rustic flavors with artful presentation.
The traditional Japanese cooking also known as washoku emphasizes on variety and balance and is a culmination of centuries of cooking practices in Japan. Japanese cuisine is also listed as an intangible cultural heritage by the UNESCO.
The food is the harmony of fresh ingredients combined with a few staple seasonings, which make up the majority of Japanese dishes. Another interesting fact about the cooking is that almost every dish is flavored with the same building blocks, soy sauce, mirin and sake.
Soy sauce is the most common ingredient, which is exclusive to Japanese cuisine and has a strong and salty flavor that is used in Asian foods. All the three ingredients add the classic flavor that makes up the base for many dishes and sauces.
The whole aspect of Japanese food culture is full of rich experiences but it might be a little difficult to develop the distinct taste. The food goes beyond just sushi and incorporates the basis of five cooking techniques like grilling, steaming, boiling and frying. Although the main components of sushi like seafood, seaweeds, soy products and salted or pickled ingredients are found in most of the traditional Japanese meal. Along with the mild taste other highlight is aromatic food with number of basic seasonings, such as salt, sugar, pepper, soy sauce and wasabi. Also, the traditional menu consists of one soup with three vegetables and is said to provide an ideal nutritional balance, which is an additional benefit.
Flavors of Japan
- Indulge in some kind of workout routine together: We all are aware that fitness is the key. Planning workout sessions or yoga and getting your partner involved in the same will help manage time and will also keep oneself motivated. It can be a simple morning walk or a walk after dinner. For maintaining a healthy body weight, gym sessions will also be beneficial.
- Mindful eating: Social outings are part of post wedding celebration that cannot be avoided. It is basically a time to meet people and getting used to a different routine altogether. Watch for what you eat when out at such gatherings. One solution is to eat healthy beforehand to keep yourself half full, so that, you don’t tend to munch on junk food. Another option is to always choose healthier dishes from the menu, avoiding all fried and sweets.
- Serve healthy and also do the same for you: It is always better to encourage people with healthy eating habits. Indulge in healthy cooking at home like go for whole wheat pasta and cook pizza with whole grain base. You can start off the day with goodness of fruits and flavorful smoothies and salads could be a part of healthy dinner.
- Eat small portions : People make you eat variety of food and especially sweets during wedding celebrations. The solution could be to eat small portion or just a bite of all that people make you eat or what is served.
- Initiate healthy grocery shopping: Commit to a healthy diet and for that initiate with healthy grocery shopping. This will result in a positive change of cooking with all healthful food items.