A lot of us fall prey to flavoured synthetic drinks especially when we go out for movies or some parties. Though drinking plenty of water is requisite and always recommended but falling for aerated flavorsome drinks is also one common mistake. These drinks majorly satisfy the taste buds by temporarily quenching the thirst, but flavored drinks, carbonated drinks and diet sodas can cause a range of health problems.
- Synthetically flavored artificial drinks are made in a manner that makes them look aesthetic and appealing by addition of artificial flavors. These flavors can have some serious health hazards. The added colors to the drinks include-
- Auramine- Auramine is a bright yellow colored artificial flavor. It can retard growth and can cause damage to kidneys and liver in the long run.
- Tartazine- An integral component of orange flavored drinks, it is also known as yellow#5 and yellow#6. Yellow#6 is also known as “sunset yellow”. Tartazine is known to cause allergic reactions when consumed. It is one of the most widely used artificial color but is also known to be carcinogenic. It can also trigger the symptoms of Asthma.
- Patent Blue- It is a synthetic blue colored dye made of sodium or calcium salt. It provides vibrant blue color to synthetic drinks which can look tempting but it is really harmful for overall health. Its usage has been banned in some countries as it is known to cause itching, nettle rash and low blood pressure.
- Sodium Saccharin- It is a type of artificial sweetener with zero nutritive value. It is about 300 times sweeter than table sugar, but can give a metallic after-taste. It was previously classified as possibly cancerous to humans however not many studies were done to conclude this research. But, it can be really damaging if consumed regularly.
- Phosphoric Acid- It is a type of preservative that provides tangy taste to artificial fruit juices. But it has ample of adverse effects on bone and joint health. It can deplete bone density and can demineralize your teeth giving rise to more caries.
- Monosodium Glutamate- It is also a type of preservative that gives a little salty flavor to the synthetic beverages. But, it is known to cause overstimulation of nerve cells, leading to brain lesions, increased risk of depression and migraine.
- Artificial Vanilla Flavor- It is made from synthetic vanillin and is generally derived from wood pulp waste, beaver’s castor glands, or even coal tar. It can lead to skin irritation, swelling and sleep problems including insomnia.
The other common health hazards that such artificial flavors can cause are listed below-
- Risk of Diabetes- The sugar content of artificially flavored drinks can instantaneously cause a spike in your blood glucose levels. Such drinks can also make you gain unwanted kilos and further increasing the risk of diabetes.
- Heart problems: Drinking flavored synthetic drinks are a part of an unhealthy diet that is high in calories and is fattening. Overconsumption of sugar in the form of synthetic beverage can lead to an increase in blood pressure, risk of heart attack and stroke. Added sugars in fizzy drinks majorly contribute towards increasing number of cardiovascular diseases.
- Depletion of calcium: Calcium makes for an essential mineral for strong bones. Consumption of fizzy drinks can deplete the calcium content from the bones and can make them brittle and weak.
- Dehydration: It is a misconception that synthetic drinks help fight dehydration. We buy flavored bottles out of thirst but are not aware that sodas contain excess of caffeine that leads to elevated dehydration in the body.
- Risk of dementia: Dementia is a common form of Alzheimer’s disease which means declining of brain function. Increase level of blood sugar is associated with a high risk of dementia. That means in the long run it can impair memory and decision making skills.
So, synthetic drinks to quench thirst during summers is a big NO. Instead you can consume readily available healthy options such as coconut water, which is a natural key for hydration and a perfect way to escape the heat. Another alternative is to personalize the drink by infusing flavorful fruits in water and having it throughout the day. This will keep you hydrated with the goodness of fruits. A healthy addition of buttermilk or smoothies with fruits and veggies in your diet is also a great solution to keep various health problems at bay and beat the heat appropriately.