Khichdi is an important part of Ayurvedic diet that has an ability to nourish your body and do wonders to aid digestion, lower cholesterol and boost heart health. No recipe can beat the additional benefits which this home-made recipe carries by adding ghee and turmeric.
This perfect blend of traditional Indian comfort food which is made up of rice, lentils and turmeric provides mutual supplementation, where you get essential amino acids in one. This gluten-free vegetarian recipe has all the properties to promote weight loss and detoxify your body. Small amount of ghee is a great source of macronutrients and turmeric relieves the joint pain in arthritis.
- 15 grams urad dal
- 60 grams rice
- 1 green chilli
- 1 teaspoon Ghee
- ½ teaspoon garlic
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- Asafoetida (Hing), a pinch
- Red chilli, a pinch
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric, a pinch
Calories: 196 Cal
Carbs: 24.1 gm
Proteins: 7.4 gm
Fats: 5.4 gm
- Wash the urad dal and rice separately and put them aside.
- Take a pressure cooker and heat ghee/oil, add asafoetida and green chilli as the ghee is heated. Add 1 cup of boiling water.
- Add the washed rice, more cups of water if needed and mix, add washed dal, salt, ghee/oil and crushed garlic.
- Put the pressure cooker on gas and increase the flame.
- Let it boil, reduce the flame to medium afterwards. Let it cook for about 10-12 minutes or till the rice and the dal is cooked properly but not overcooked.
- It is generally done in two whistles.
- Let the steam escape. Check if the khichdi is almost done.
- Turn off the flame and cover with a lid.
- Serve with dahi (Curd) and papad.
Over to you
This simple, wholesome and nutritious meal is enjoyed internationally, has become popular and is not only consumed during illness but included in the daily diet to stay healthy. Indian porridge like blend of rice and dal with minimal spices which is easily digestible.