A cross between soup and stew this healthy casserole recipe is packed with vegetables and walnuts perfect as a light lunch. This ultimate recipe is gluten free, vegan and healthy full of good healthy starches and veggies. The aroma of freshly ground spices makes this recipe quite appealing and amazing in taste plus the richness is added in the recipe by the use of coconut milk.
Walnuts used in the recipe is a power house of nutrients and rich in unsaturated fats such as omega 3 fatty acids which helps in lower blood sugar levels and important for heart health. Incorporating walnuts in your diet is a convenient way to ensure protein intake in your diet and also a good source of antioxidant and magnesium, phosphorus in your diet. Vegetables added in the recipes such as carrots, beans and potatoes is a good source of fiber, potassium, protein, iron and zinc.
- 3 gm cinnamon
- 5 ml oil
- 2 green cardamom pods
- 2 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- Few curry leaves
- 20 gm chopped onion
- 3 gm ginger (chopped)
- 1 piece garlic(minced)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper(freshly cracked)
- 15 gm small potato (diced)
- 15 gm carrot(diced)
- 10 gm green beans cut into 1 inch pieces
- 10 gm green peas
- 20 ml coconut milk
- Salt as per taste
- 100 ml water
- 5 gm California walnut halves
Calories – 201.7 kcal
Protein – 3 gm
Fats– 17.3 gm
Carbohydrates – 9.1 gm
- Heat oil in a pan and add the spices (cinnamon, cardamom pods, cloves, bay leaves, and curry leaves to it. Let them splutter.
- Now add the onions, ginger and garlic to it and Sauté it well until the onions turn soft and translucent. Also add the freshly cracked black pepper to it and mix well.
- Into this add vegetables, water and salt according to taste. Cover the pan with the lid and cook until vegetables turns soft and then add California walnuts into it.
- While the vegetables are cooking, add the coconut milk into it. Reduce the flame and let it cook for a couple of minutes or till heated.
- Garnish with chopped walnuts and serve hot.
Over to you:
What’s better than a bowl of warm, and comforting hot casserole on these dark, wintery days? Enjoy this flavorful recipe with a nice warm whole wheat bread and you’re going to thank us later! Happy winters.