The sound of curd and rice only is so refreshing! One of the most prominent dishes in South India, this recipe is a complete soul food. It wrdill definitely amp up your mood in the most bad situations as curd and rice are known to increase the serotonin levels in the brain. Serotonin is a happy hormone which makes you feel relieved from anxiety and depression.
Curd is a probiotic which helps in easing digestion. It treats upset stomach and all other digestive problems. It is also good in calcium content which is good for bones. It reduces high blood pressure and helps in maintaining healthy skin as it contains lactic acid which is a natural exfoliator. Rice is a good source of carbs and vitamins and minerals like magnesium, phosphorus. iron and folic acid. It is a gluten-free grain. Carrots contain vitamin A which promotes better eye vision. Bottle gourd is known for its anti-inflammatory properties and helps in weight loss.
- 40 gm rice
- 30 gm curd
- 10 gm carrot (grated)
- 10 gm bottle gourd or cucumber (grated)
- 1 sprig of curry leaves
- ½ tsp mustard oil
- Pinch of hing
- 1/2 green chilli
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 1 tsp chana dal
- 1 tsp coriander leaves (finely chopped)
- Salt as needed
Course: Lunch / Dinner
Calories: 100 Kcal
Proteins: 2.5 gm
Fats: 3 gm
Carbs: 14 gm
- Wash and soak rice for 25-30 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of water and salt to the cooker and soft cook the rice.
- Cool down the rice. Add curd to cooled rice and mix completely.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin and mustard. When they begin to sputter, add dals and fry until golden brown.
- Add chilli and curry leaves. When curry leaves turn crisp, add hing and turn off the stove. Add bottle gourd (if using) to this hot seasoning and stir.
- Add grated carrots and cucumber to the curd and rice mixture. Mix well.
- Now, add the hot seasoning and coriander leaves to the curd and rice mixture.
- Serve immediately.
Over to you
The delicious combination of curd and rice will give your taste buds the happier blend and will help you release from all the stress that’s been holding you. It is easy to prepare but have it in moderation because rice is generally high in calories.