After the delivery and amidst the exhaustion of caring for a newborn, comfort and nutritious foods is all you need to focus on. There is nothing like a warm and tasty soup to give you an energy boost when you’re exhausted or under the weather. Feeling drained is something that is definitely very common among nursing mothers who are trying to increase their milk supply. Luckily, there’s a way to get both energy and good milk supply from this delicious chicken and barley soup.
Nutritional Benefits: This soup is prepared from healthy ingredients like chicken rich in protein, selenium which contain antioxidants that help control free radicals and improve your immune system Barley is loaded with fibre, folate, potassium and vitamin B6; all these vital nutrients help in supporting heart health. Also, the green vegetables such as broccoli and beans are the great source of vitamin C which is a powerful antioxidant.
- Chicken cubes- 40g
- Pearl Barley- 15g
- Bay leaves-3
- Onion- 15g
- Broccoli- 15g
- Green beans- 15g
- Celery- 5g
- Lemon Juice- 5ml
- Oregano- ½ Tsp.
- Thyme- 5g
- Black Pepper- ½ Tsp.
- Salt to taste
Calories: 125 kcal
- Take water, chicken cubes, and bay leaves in a broad pan and bring it to a boil. Simmer it until the chicken is cooked.
- Cool the broth until the fat congeals on the surface. Skim and discard fat.
- Bring soup to heat; add celery, onion, broccoli, pearl barley, salt, and black pepper.
- Bring the soup to a boil, reduce heat to low & place a cover on the pot. Simmer until the barley is cooked and the vegetables are tender for 60 minutes.
- Add lemon juice into the soup just before serving.
Over to you
Use the boneless chicken to make delicious fresh chicken soup and you can also add any leftover vegetables that you prefer. Pearl barley is used to thicken the soup and for making it a nutritious meal for lactating mothers. Try out this delicious, warming soup at any time of the year.