Cabbage leaves were not meant to be chopped always! They can be layered up with the nutritious beans and veggies into a burrito. Yes, this is what our recipe is about! The green cabbage leaves will be stuffed with black beans along with onion and tomatoes and then baked. These burritos are an amazing way to stack up on the healthier part.
Cabbage is rich in fibres and antioxidants which reduce the damage of cells from free radicals. It provides good amount of vitamin C. Black beans are a good source of proteins, fibres and folate and helps in reducing blood sugar levels. It is better than most of the high-carbs food providing you ample amounts of magnesium, manganese and iron.
- 2 large green cabbage leaves
- 30 gm black beans (boiled)
- 20 gm onion (finely chopped)
- 1/2 tsp ginger-garlic (grated)
- 1 baby tomato (chopped)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper (freshly grounded)
- 1/4 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp olive oil
- Salt to taste
Course: Lunch/ Dinner
Calories: 158 Kcal
Fats: 1.7 gm
Proteins: 9.1 gm
Carbs: 26.2 gm
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and place a parchment paper. In a large pot of boiling water, dip cabbage leaves in water for 30 seconds with the help of tongs to blanch. Place on a paper towel-lined plate to dry.
- Take a skillet and heat some olive oil. Add onions and cook until it turns brown. Add ginger-garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Now, add boiled black beans and tomatoes. Stir. Add salt and red chilli powder.
- Lay 2 cabbage leaves side by side, overlapping each other slightly. Take a spoonful of mixture and place in the centre. Top it with some black pepper. Fold short sides of cabbage leaves in to first, then roll into a cylinder – like a burrito!
- Place it on a baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Over to you
These healthy cabbage burritos are an absolute delight to have! Beans are a good source of proteins and stuffing them in these cabbage leaves makes it more power packed with nutrients.