An easy to cook, quick and tasty option- cheela is a spiced savoury gram flour pancakes. This healthy Indian vegetarian recipe is perfect for breakfast, brunch or even evening snack when unexpected guests arrive.
The gram flour, made from chickpeas is filled with goodness of zinc which improves immunity and it is a wheat free food item rich in fiber. Ajwain in the recipe helps cure indigestion.
- 30 grams besan
- ½ finely chopped tomato
- ½ finely chopped onion
- ½ teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 finely chopped green chilli
- Handful of coriander leaves
- 1 teaspoon of oil/ghee
- ¼ teaspoon ajwain/ carom seeds
- Salt to taste
Calories: 180 KCal
Carbs: 23.9 gm
Proteins: 8.9 gm
Fats: 5.7 gm
- Add besan, ajwain, turmeric and salt to mixing bowl. Mix everything well.
- Add the veggies (onion, tomato, coriander, green chilli) in a bowl, sprinkle some salt. Use a whisk to mix everything well.
- Pour ½ cup water first and if the batter looks thick, then add 1-3 tablespoon more water. Mix them to a smooth flowing consistency in the batter.
- Now, heat the pan on medium flame. Grease it well using oil/ghee.
- Once the pan starts to sizzle, pour the batter into the centre of the pan.
- Spread the batter gently so that the cheela does not break and let it cook on medium-low heat.
- After the bottom part is golden brown, flip and cook the other side next.
- Once both sides are golden brown and slightly crispy, remove it from the pan, fold and serve hot with your choice of chutney.
Note: You can use your choice of vegetables as well.
Over to you
This simple savoury pancake tastes best with some amla chutney and serves as a simple yet enriching recipe for kids as well. This can also be incorporated as a part of your daily diet.